Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting devices >

Cutting devices

Cutting devices

Old 01-26-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
For strips, as well as shapes, I use my Alto's QuiltCut2. Not sure who sells them because the vendor I used has retired. I believe you can still find them on the net.
I think you can only buy them from their website. I would love one of these, but the shipping charge to send one to me in Canada is outrageous.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:27 PM

I purchased the Sizzix Big Shot Pro and the Accuquilt adapter to use Accuquilt dies with this machine and it works great. I also have Studio and Sizzix dies. I buy dies on sale especially around Christmas and on eBay. I like the variety of materials the machine can cut. I made snowflakes out of pop cans at Christmas, cuts leather, wool and felt easily and I use magnetic and adhesive sheets with stars, etc. I did buy a few of the long strip dies for $6 each at Overstock last December but don't use them as much as the triangles and other shapes. I don't scrapbook but do enjoy using the embossing folders to make cards as needed. For me it is a tool that is fun to play with and gives my family something to buy me for Christmas as I can always think of another die I would like to have.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dc989 View Post
Thank you for a wealth of info. I was so confused by all the different devices and how they actually work. I have been trying to be a better steward of my quilting money, so I didn't want to impulse buy. The electric Accuquilt is intriguing and I think I will cautiously investigate. I'll be looking for a good deal IF I decide to buy.
The way I understand it, Accuquilt doesn't allow their distributors to mark down their products unless they also mark stuff down on their website. But they do have some sales--right now some of the dies are 40% off, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas all the cutters were marked down.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
For strips, as well as shapes, I use my Alto's QuiltCut2. Not sure who sells them because the vendor I used has retired. I believe you can still find them on the net.
Alto's sold their cutting system recently, but the new owner is still manufacturing and selling their system and their blades.....This is really nice for new quilters or those who have a problem with ruler slipping......I think the Accuquilt Fabric Cutters really cut into their business, but there is still a market for this system...I got mine back in 2008 and do still use it from time to time......
Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 AM

I have the Go Baby and love it. Now I am waiting on the AccuQuilt Go on sale so I can get it. The Baby was $59.00 when I got it.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 AM

I use the Fabi- die cutter (dies only) in a Sizzix machine I purchased several years ago.I have carpal tunnel in both hands,so it is a blessing for me.It took me 2 years to buy the dies that I wanted,as I only bought them when they were on sale,@ Hobby Lobby.A die can cut 8 layers @ a time, in only seconds ,as it is electric.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Alto Quilt 2 before the Go was available. I found the Alto took more fussing then using a ruler.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM

I have the Alto Quilt 2 because I thought it would help me cut better, it didn't. I just purchased the Accu quilt go Electric, I love it.
you do need to practice with scraps, to get the idea of fan folding and not wasting fabric on the dies you choose.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by lyndaj View Post
I think you can only buy them from their website. I would love one of these, but the shipping charge to send one to me in Canada is outrageous.
Maybe go online and look for a used one.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by psychonurse View Post
I have the Alto Quilt 2 because I thought it would help me cut better, it didn't. I just purchased the Accu quilt go Electric, I love it.
you do need to practice with scraps, to get the idea of fan folding and not wasting fabric on the dies you choose.
I had one as well and sold it. I went through the smaller Accuquilt cutters before the electric version and ended up selling those as well. I am lucky enough to have room for the Studio and I love it.