Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table advice please >

cutting table advice please

cutting table advice please

Old 04-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Default cutting table advice please

I am trying to redo my sewing/quilting room and would like your opinions on a cutting table. Do any of you have either of these tables?

http://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-0125...ds=hobby+table

http://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-Adju...ds=hobby+table

I've read the reviews and they seem to be all over the place. They either love it or hate it. I would most likely buy from Joanns as I think they are on sale this week for 40% off.

Any and all opinions welcome

Last edited by grandma23; 04-28-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: kindle has a mind of it's own!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM

I have the first one listed in the links you posted. I really like the height but it's a bit unstable. I have it on carpet so I bought the rubber feet type things which helps a lot. I also use my Go! on it. Just have to be careful to watch out where the areas are that fold on the table because it can affect your accuracy when cutting. Learned from experience. I used a 50% off coupon on it an feel it was worth the money. Would I pay full price for it. no. Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 PM

I love mine, usually only use half of it because of space, I use mine all the tme
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 PM

I use a table like this - they're also called 'Banquet' tables with a set of bed/chair risers like these. Much cheaper and before I had my quilt room, I used to keep the table folded in the bath - it's really lightweight.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 AM

I have one like your first link - no drawer/shelf and no height adjustment. I wish it had adjustable legs as it's really a bit too high for me. Otherwise, it's great. I have my cutting mat at one end and use the other end as an ironing surface (usually a towel or two folded over). Works great. I've even folded it down and put it away once or twice and it is easy to move as well. I like it alot.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 AM

I have looked at them in stores and they seem unstable to me. I use a 6' long folding banquet table now, until my DH makes my new one. If the table is too short, get 4 lengths of PVC pipe from Home Depot cut to the length you need (mine are about 6"), and put them on the feet. This raises the table and helps keeps it stable.
My plans for a new cutting table are to use 2 Ikea Expedit units back to back, with a base and a top- easy and cheaper than these tables- and there will be loads of storage too. Check out the Ikeahackers website- lots of ideas.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 AM

They just don't look really stable to me. A few years back my husband was in our local Big Lots store and saw a bistro table - the absolute perfect height for me when I am cutting. It is 50 inches square and is the perfect height for me when cutting. Best of all, it was on sale for $100, and I had one of those Big Lots 20% off coupons, so I got it for $80.00 plus tax. It is very, very heavy - it had to go up the stairs a piece at a time, but it was a snap to put together, and it is totally, totally sturdy. It's actually one of the best "sewing room" purchases I have ever made!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 AM

I received the Sew Essentials Quilter's Design Table that they sell at Joann's for Christmas last year. They often have them on sale. I really like it. It is very stable. I have a disability and I needed a table I could put all my weight on without it moving. This does the trick. It was a bit of a pain to put together, but thanks to my husband I was using it that night! Also this table might be too short for some. It hits me at the hip and I am 5'1.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 AM

I use the folding banquet tables on risers like others here. I have 3 of them and use them for cutting, supporting quilts as I sew, sorting cut pieces. They are lightweight so I can move them as I need them and the are very stable.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 AM

I don't have either of those - I use a dining table up on bed risers. Doesn't look all that fancy but it works fantastically...I'm redoing my sewing room and I'm keeping that same table.

If you have access to IKEA, you can buy a very cheap plain tabletop and get adjustable legs. Depending on how big your top is, it can be really cheap.