Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table advice please >

cutting table advice please

cutting table advice please

Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Actually my husband put a solid wood nine foot door in for me as my cutting table. I think it's set at 36 inches high. I love it!!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM

I have the 2nd link that you have posted from Joann's and I love it! I use the shelfs to store batting in and it is awesome. its a good hieght so I'm not hunched over to cut. it saves my back so much.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM

The one from Joann's is really rickety. Unless you can secure it to the wall for added stability.
I had one and that is what my husband had to do in order for me to use it. He eventually made my
current cutting table, and I love it. It is so sturdy I can even stand on it if I want too.
Attached Thumbnails p9190003.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM

I have the one without the shelves and use it often because I am very limited on space. It is not as stable as I would like, but I need something I can fold away. I can get it to work for me, but I have to watch where I am on the table when I apply pressure.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM

I have one from your first link. I got it on sale at JoAnn's. The other comments are right in that it is not the most stable table I have ever used but it is serviceable. I like the height. I'm 5'2" and it is the right height for me for cutting and standing to do anything else. I also like that it folds down to a narrow profile and you can have just one side up or both.

When I set up my sewing room in my winter home I didn't go with that table however. I got a table at Sam's that is adjustable height and folds in the middle for storage. I like this one because it is more stable and at the highest height is is good for cutting. I also have 4 pieces of 2x6 (2 for each side) that fit under the legs if I want it higher. This gives me a lot of flexibility with different heights given the table has 3 options and I have another 2 with the 2x6 boards. I use it at a lower setting and put my sewing machine on it when I am quilting as I need a large space to support the quilt. When it is not in use I can easily take it down and folded it is a very narrow profile that fits under a bed etc. This was also a lot less expensive. I think it was around $40 range.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:30 PM

I have a glass table top on a metal frame, used to be a dining room table....perfect height for cutting, using a light underneath for a quick light board, nice size for laying out a table runner/topper and small quilts.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM

good table
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/del...crafttable.cfm
Old 04-29-2014, 03:35 PM

I agree it wiggles a lot. I bought a good table at a quilt show (yes it was more expensive) but it is very sturdy and has drawers that hold a ton of notions!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks for all of your opinions. I think I will be regrouping on a cutting table. I have several ideas pinned on Pinterest. So I know there are plenty of other option to choose from.

Thanks again for all your replies!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Are you looking at this model b/c of the fold down feature, to save room, or b/c of pricing?

I'm linking to my cutting/crafting table so you can see what I did... It's much larger than you are looking for, but could be configured to just about any size. The Expedit units I used are from Ikea and come in either 2x2 or 2x 4. The foot plan for the 2x2 wouldn't be significantly bigger than the fold down you are looking at; there are many things you could use for the top, either from Ikea or a hardware store, or made (as mine was) from countertop laminate. This gives you both cutting and storage space. http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...e-t212058.html