Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expedit Cutting/Craft Table

Expedit Cutting/Craft Table

I guess it's time for me to stop saying I sew in our family room and start saying that my sewing room also has a tv and loveseat... After much dreaming, I finally bought Expedit book cases from Ikea, added legs and a custom countertop and now have both a lot of storage and a great work space for cutting/crafting. No more aching back!

Wanted laminate counter for durability for various crafts. We could have made one from wood and a sheet of laminate, but would have had to wait several months for it to be warm enough to glue laminate to the wood. Top measures 36" x 76"; there are a total of 16 cubbies that are 13" h x 13" w x 15" deep.

The Snapware that is pulled out is meant for Christmas ornaments; I bought the first one after Christmas years ago and found it fits fat quarters and strips perfectly. Without the top on, they fit in the cubbie as if made for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. I just got one of their cube shelf units to hold fabric in the closet of my sewing room.
    Lori - MamaBear

That is really awesome!!!

You are soooo smart to do this! Lucky for me I bought a cutting/craft table at Walmart ON SALE about 5 years ago. The economy was so bad that the manager actually bargained with me! That was a shock...got it for $150, assembled! Squeezed it into my Pontiac Vibe and brought it home with me. It's now a fixture in my foyer. It doesn't have much storage, but folds up very nicely so that it fits in a corner when we have company. (And that forces me to clean up!)

Now I look at craft and cutting tables and KNOW I would never pay the $$$ that is asked. I would do what you did, or something very similar. Great for you!

WOW! J'en bave de jalousie!!! I think in english this expression is drooling with jealousy (not sure!). No one beats IKEA for great ideas!! Bravo to you!!

Wow! What a classy setup,reminds me of the sewing space on Sew Many Ways. Great tip on the snap ware. I'm planning on getting a tall Expediet shelf someday.

WOW!!! I love it What a great use of space.
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

Really cool looking. Love have neat and organized everything looks! Enjoy!
    Country1
    Country 1

Very nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    You are soooo smart to do this! Lucky for me I bought a cutting/craft table at Walmart ON SALE about 5 years ago. The economy was so bad that the manager actually bargained with me! That was a shock...got it for $150, assembled! Squeezed it into my Pontiac Vibe and brought it home with me. It's now a fixture in my foyer. It doesn't have much storage, but folds up very nicely so that it fits in a corner when we have company. (And that forces me to clean up!)

Now I look at craft and cutting tables and KNOW I would never pay the $$$ that is asked. I would do what you did, or something very similar. Great for you!
    Hello Cathy. can you tell me if this is the sewing /craft table you have from Walmart in the following link? and if it is , how do you like it? Thanks, Copycat

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sullivans-...Specifications

That IKEA has some wonderful furniture and great prices! Love your new cutting table!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

that is beautiful-you have beauty and function together
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Why wait? I find all my Ikea pieces on craigslist at a fraction of the store prices!! Gotta love Ikea!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    Wow! What a classy setup,reminds me of the sewing space on Sew Many Ways. Great tip on the snap ware. I'm planning on getting a tall Expediet shelf someday.

Looks great and so useful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Love it! I love Ikea!

Looks great for a sewing room.

Very cool!! Did you also buy the legs at Ikea?

excellent. Very nicely done.

I am also in the process of assembling an expedit table! Mine is a bit different that yours as I'm using the 2x4 units. Had to buy casters so I can move it as needed. Hope to finish today and start getting my quilt room organized! Also bought a 10' by 8' shelving unit for fabric storage. So much work left to do but I am excited to see it all starting to come together.

This is a wonderful storage and work top. I like the sleek, clean lines.

Love the idea. And it would work for me too. Not easily but it looks like it could be taken apart and moved if necessary. Great room I would love to be able to play in a room with so much space and light

Great set up!

Great idea. You have certainly given me some ideas for my own space which is in a corner of my dining room.

I recommend Pinterest and Ikeahackers for great ideas. I settled on Expedit book cases, but there are also other pieces that Ikea carries that can be modified from their original use. The Expedit comes in different sizes, so you can configure a size/style that works for you and your space. I highly suggest you do this BEFORE you go to the store! We are several hours from the nearest Ikea and when I was there I felt pressured to decide exactly what I wanted; more pre-planning would have helped!

Yes, legs are from Ikea (kitchen area). I should clarify - by "adjustable" I didn't mean that they could be adjusted to raise or lower the top from desk height to counter height. They are only adjustable in small increments, which allowed me to make this the perfect height for me. We added them to bring it up to counter level rather than desk level.

Wow, that's super neat! We are looking for a table to cutting on. Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Great room you have too.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast