Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: D9P math ?

I would like to do a lap size D9P quilt with 5" charm squares, and I was wondering how many squares I would need. I did a search on the board and there was a question a while back about the finished size of a block with this size square. It was 131/2". I did some figuring and would appreciate it being checked. If I do a 4x5 layout, it will be 54" (13.5x4) by 67.5(13.5x5). 4x5=20x5=180 squares. If I did a 3x4 layout, it would be 40.5x54. 3x4=12x9=108 squares. These sizes are without borders. Sometimes I think I have some things all figured out and realize later on I made a goof and don't have it right! So did I fiqure this correctly?
    Thanks

Power Poster
    I'm thinking that the finished block (using 9 five-inch squares to begin with) would end up being only 13 inches.

With the first sewing - the original 9-patch - the block will measure 14 inches (unfinished)

With the second sewing - reassembling the cut up pieces - the block will measure 13.5 inches (unfinished)

There will be 1/4 inch "lost" on each side when the blocks are assembled - so the blocks will finish to 13 inches

If my math is right.

I was thinking about it after posting and 13" for the finished block is right. I forget to figure that.

Power Poster
    You were close - :)

Blog Entries
    It is better to double check lol...I have sat and stared at a diagram scratching my head looking at two different results, wondering which if any were right LMBO

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Joan, when I did my d9p I had the same question and Tippy said she used 20 4 1/2 inch squares for a nice size lap quilt. I wanted mine larger so I used 30 and placed them 6 across and 5 down. It is a nice size for I wanted you might think 20 squares.