Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What sewing machine should I get my mother....help?

I'm a 32 male! My mother has always had hand me down sewing machines and never had a new one. She just makes due with what she has. She's real old school and quilting and sewing is in her blood. She has hand made quilts for many years and her mother (my grandma) hand made quilts and clothes. I'm not sure why she hasn't ever bought her self a new one. Anyway, I know nothing about sewing machines....please help. This is a very special Christmas present....$400-$600 range is what I have to spend. I went to order one online and they have so many options that I know nothing about. Thank you!

I'd get her a gift certificate to a local machine dealer, tell her that it's for a new machine and let her choose her own machine. What a good boy you are!!!!

That is what I was thinking, but I want to surprise her Christmas morning when she comes to stay with my family. She can always exchange it.

Do you think she will be mostly quilting with it, or will she make other things as well? For an all-around utility machine, I am really liking my Singer 7470. It's not strictly a quilting machine, but I don't just quilt. I think you can definitely find it in your price range. I got mine on line for less than 400, I'm sure. And yeah, you are a very thoughtful son!

What about this one? I know emb machines can cost thousands because she showed me a few one time but do these affordable emb machines hold up and do what they are supposed to...are they worth it? I know she would sew more then just quilts but that is her main hobby.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ne#reviewsWrap

If you are going to buy one yourself read the reviews, most sellers post them. Two things to consider (besides quality & price) are the size of the hoop(s) and does the machine have USB transfer capabilities. Most of us want at least 5"X7" hoops, bigger is better. Without USB transfer she would need a conversion box of some kind to download designs from the iternet, either that or she'd be buying expensive discs with designs.

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer CE200. These have to hook directly up to a computer to use the embroidery function. The downside to these machines (including the CE150) is that you can not stitch out a 5 X 7 embroidery design, and the trend right now on embroidery designs is that being the smallest size. There still are many designs out there that fit this machine and mine. If I had to do it all over again, I would save more money and buy a bernina, pfaff, janome, that was gently used.

You may be able to upgrade to a better machine by going to a dealer and purchasing a good used embroidery machine that is still under warranty.

Blog Entries
    I know you really want to surprise her, but I would stick with a Gift Certificate or take her shopping. Everyone has certain things they want with their machine , needle up/down , walking foot, extra stitches. And I would hate for you to spend a lot of money and she is not comfortable with the machine. It may do more than she would even want to try, or be afriad to use it.Let us know how it works out

I recently was in Target and found a Brother XL3750 sewing machine on sale.. it even has a "quilting package" with it, and has very nice features. I got it on special and it was only $99. This week I was looking just out of curiosity and there was the same machine with all of the quilting "dodads" and the regular price is $141.00.. I think it's a wonderful machine and a great value. you could give her a gift certificate for fabric with it at that price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charbaugh
    That is what I was thinking, but I want to surprise her Christmas morning when she comes to stay with my family. She can always exchange it.
    Not always. If you do buy a machine, make sure the machine can be exchanged or returned. It may need to be returned if your mother prefers a brand that the dealer doesn't carry. Not all dealers will take a machine back once they've sold it. They will offer an exchange, but not a return.

Blog Entries
    When I was shopping around for a new machine, I checked out
    http://sewing.patternreview.com/
    It doesn't cost anything to sign up and it has so much information on it. Just click on sewing machine and serger reviews.

Mary

Banned
    I have an inexpensive Singer that came from Walmart. Its been a great machine.

Blog Entries
    If she hasn't been machine browsing in years she is in for a big surprise. It's amazing what machines will do now days. Let her shop for her machine. She may decide to go very high end or go portable or go embroidery. She will be so thrilled you thought of doing this for her.

Buying a sewing machine is much like buying a car. You need to take it for a test drive to see if you and the machine are compatible.

You could call some dealers in your area to see HOW many machines they have in your price range. If they have quite a few then tell them what you want to do and they might have ideas to help you with a surprise for your mother.

OR-you can get a pre-paid charge card, put the money on that card and give that to your mom, THEN the day after Christmas, you and your mom visit several dealers and let her choose the machine she would like. A gift certificate limits her to the one store. The pre paid card lets her choose from different brands. And if YOU take her, then you know that the card money will go on a machine AND it gives you and Mom some quality time together. Trust me, MOMS LOVE THAT!

If you are going to choose a machine, get one from a local dealer who will be able to help her use it to it's full potential, and will stand behind it for service and any repairs. For the money you have generously budgeted, she will be able to have a machine with a lot of functions. She may be intimidated at first, but new machines are really user friendly. A dealer will be a valuable resource and support. My kids order stuff online too, but a dealer will "stitch out" the machine to be sure the tensions etc. are set properly and it's ready to go for her. Speaking as a mom, if you get her a gift card, and it's from Wal-Mart or some place, she might try to get a lesser machine and use the rest for the family. I know I probably would. So, if you really want to give her a $600 machine, which is just fantastic, a dealer will help you choose what is the best choice. What a thoughtful gift!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    Buying a sewing machine is much like buying a car. You need to take it for a test drive to see if you and the machine are compatible.

You could call some dealers in your area to see HOW many machines they have in your price range. If they have quite a few then tell them what you want to do and they might have ideas to help you with a surprise for your mother.

OR-you can get a pre-paid charge card, put the money on that card and give that to your mom, THEN the day after Christmas, you and your mom visit several dealers and let her choose the machine she would like. A gift certificate limits her to the one store. The pre paid card lets her choose from different brands. And if YOU take her, then you know that the card money will go on a machine AND it gives you and Mom some quality time together. Trust me, MOMS LOVE THAT!
    I agree completely. She would be totally surprised and thrilled with the gift certificate, and she would LOVE to go out with you to buy the machine. And then, too, if she wanted to add some of her own money to get exactly what she wanted, she could. That is what I would prefer, if it were me -- to be able to choose the exact machine, with all the features, myself. But what a thrill, to have it paid for by her son!!!!!!

Personally I think if she is an old school quilter the old machines that are work horses are the better choice. If you were to take her favorite work horse to a dealer and have it overhauled she may be more thrilled with that then anything else.

You are being very limited with the funds. IMO, do not buy fromWalMart or Target, the Singer or their Brother, or any Singer or Brother. As one reply said, go for a Bernina, Janome or Babylock. In your price range, you can get a "Mechanical" rather than a "computer" machine.. Just make sure the parts are metal and not plastic. Email me privately, as I have a very nice used machine that will fit the bill. However, I agree with the other comments, take her shopping. JMO. Silvia

I really like the idea of you taking her shopping to pick out her machine. That way she gets one she would like and she also gets to spend mother-son time together. What a wonderful, thoughtful son you are!

I ordered the Singer 7470 from Joann's...she can take it back if it was not what she had in mind and believe me, my mother is a big fan of returning things she dosent like. Thanks for all the help!

Good Choice! :thumbup: Have a lovely Christmas with your Mom!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt

Oh, I love love love that idea! The time together doubles or triples the value of the gift! And the prepaid card doesn't limit her to one dealer! Winner all around!

I would wrap a large box for the prepaid card and weight it with a brick, maybe covering the brick with pictures of different sewing machines (printed off the net). And the shopping trip itinerary could be wrapped around the card.

Char you made a good choice. By the way there is nothing wrong with buying at Walmart either Singer or Brother. They stand behind these machines.

I really like brother machinces...

Let your mother choose the machine that suits her. Buying a machine and then trying to exchange can be a big hassle.
    If there is a local dealer available that will be your best place to start. Plus they will have instructions to assist her in learning
    the machine.
    The machines that Walmart sells is not the same as dealers sell.
    And no one to teach her the machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast