Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?

How about a basket of flowers wallhanging for her room?
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    does she need an adult bib with her name on it? i made my elderly aunt one and also did a name sign for her door. the neighbors walking by love it. you can see pics here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t150553.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    A button on bag for her walker? A TV remote control bag for her favourite chair?

Maybe a small bulletin board where you could tack up family or friend's pictures to remind her of those she doesn't see too often.

Blog Entries
    When my Mother was in a home briefly, I made sign and floral wreath for her door and a floral swag over the curtains I hung for her room. There were two beds, so I put matching quilts and sheets on them. All to match her burgundy satin pillows that went everywhere with her.

The best gift for the elderly is not material but social. To have someone who cares enough to come visit her is the best gift of all. I'm 78 and live alone. When we donated lap quilts to the local nursing home the residents just loved our visit so much and expressed the desire we sh come back. We had rolled them up and tied a ribbon on the quilts. I'm told some of them will unroll their quilt and then after using roll them back up and tie that ribbon around it again. You know that our shoulders and legs are colder now as we age, so a small quilt is nice to have.

How about a comfort wrap? Here's a link to some that my family did for a local nursing home this last Christmas. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t208787.html
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

I embroidered my mom's name on a big straw hat. She sits outside alot so I'm hoping it will be useful.

Blog Entries
    I made a wall hanging for my mother...she loves it. I have also made tiny quilts for her door...she is 95 and was a quilter. I have started bringing a project over when I go see her and she loves to watch it progress. There is a lady there that has an adorable bag that hangs from the front of her walker...I think that will be a project I will tackle for her next. It is hard to find things for my mother now...I swear I will never bring her bath powder...I remember how my grandmother hated getting that..she said she could open a store with all she received! LOL
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

My MIL is in a assigned living center, and I have been making small wall hangings for her door to her room. She loves them, and of course brags that her DIL made them, and the other residents like them as well, and look forward to the next one. Here's what I've made so far -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have made several walker bags for friends of my parents. I also like the idea of door hangings.

My mother is in a nursing home and I made her a wall hanging with pictures of all the family ironed on it, It took no time at all to do but she shows it to everyone who comes into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?
    It is not something to make but what about a guest book so that she and you and other family members will know who has visited her. The visitors can also make notes in it too. My daughter did this for her husband when he was in the hospital and it was a great way to keep track of the Drs as they came by. Infact the Drs. loved it because they could see which one had already come by and who they needed to check with.

Fleece wrap

I have made a fleece wrap for my elderly aunt and a neighbor's mother who is on dialysis and gets so cold during the process. Take a piece of fleece that is double the person's shoulder to hip measurement. Fold in half end to end with the selvages on the outside. In my second grade classroom we used to call it "hamburger style" ; ) Cut up the middle of the first half to make an opening and round the end of the opening to make a neck hole. If stretches so you only need a small neck opening. Round the bottom edges and finish as you wish with scalloped cutters, rolled hem or blanket stitch. It is easily washed and is soft to sensitive skin and easy to put on.

I just saw the pictures of the comfort wrap in the comments so this is the same type of thing but with fleece.

Also, visiting the person is a joy for both of you, so make the most of that opportunity!

QUOTE=EllieGirl;6027514]My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?[/QUOTE]

I made bibs for my Mom from dish towels with pretty pictures. I just cut a shallow circle on one short end and added binding tape to fasten it. They are larger and keep things from staining their clothes. Very simple

Blog Entries
    A cheerful fabric covered journal...a fabric covered loose leaf notebook with crossword or find a word puzzle books inside...fabric covered phone book....fabric covered small box with post-its inside.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    My MIL is in a assigned living center, and I have been making small wall hangings for her door to her room. She loves them, and of course brags that her DIL made them, and the other residents like them as well, and look forward to the next one. Here's what I've made so far -
    Those are so nice! how thoughtful

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    What a great idea!!! ... and SO cheerful... can see why she brags about them!

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    is there a pattern somewhere or a tutorial?
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

I recently gave my 92 yr old mother the book, Chicken Soup for the Golden Soul. She loved that bit was short stories. Maybe you could give a book like this and made a cover for it as well as a bookmark.

There sure are some great ideas posted here.

I thought about making a cover with pockets to put over the over the bed stand. It is almost like a tablecloth, fitted with pockets hanging down on all sides to hold excess stuff. Make several to change out. But be aware of how the stand is to be used. If the stand is lowered, will the pockets fall to the sides spilling everything, maybe put zippers/velcro on them. The residents want things handy but stored away and neat looking in case of visitors. Have now made one yet, but the idea is there.
    ABCDEFG

My mom is in a nursing home and she's not crazy about the meal there. She loves it when I make her chocolate chip cookies or any other chocolate treat.

A sweattshirt jacket?
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!

Can yu make a storage runer that would go under the mattress and have pockets for magazines, the remote, etc?
    Jesus knows all my imperfections yet he still loves me. Amazing!