Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas? >

Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM

My MIL is in a assigned living center, and I have been making small wall hangings for her door to her room. She loves them, and of course brags that her DIL made them, and the other residents like them as well, and look forward to the next one. Here's what I've made so far -
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 AM

I have made several walker bags for friends of my parents. I also like the idea of door hangings.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM

My mother is in a nursing home and I made her a wall hanging with pictures of all the family ironed on it, It took no time at all to do but she shows it to everyone who comes into the room.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?
It is not something to make but what about a guest book so that she and you and other family members will know who has visited her. The visitors can also make notes in it too. My daughter did this for her husband when he was in the hospital and it was a great way to keep track of the Drs as they came by. Infact the Drs. loved it because they could see which one had already come by and who they needed to check with.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Fleece wrap

I have made a fleece wrap for my elderly aunt and a neighbor's mother who is on dialysis and gets so cold during the process. Take a piece of fleece that is double the person's shoulder to hip measurement. Fold in half end to end with the selvages on the outside. In my second grade classroom we used to call it "hamburger style" ; ) Cut up the middle of the first half to make an opening and round the end of the opening to make a neck hole. If stretches so you only need a small neck opening. Round the bottom edges and finish as you wish with scalloped cutters, rolled hem or blanket stitch. It is easily washed and is soft to sensitive skin and easy to put on.

I just saw the pictures of the comfort wrap in the comments so this is the same type of thing but with fleece.

Also, visiting the person is a joy for both of you, so make the most of that opportunity!

QUOTE=EllieGirl;6027514]My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM

I made bibs for my Mom from dish towels with pretty pictures. I just cut a shallow circle on one short end and added binding tape to fasten it. They are larger and keep things from staining their clothes. Very simple
Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM

A cheerful fabric covered journal...a fabric covered loose leaf notebook with crossword or find a word puzzle books inside...fabric covered phone book....fabric covered small box with post-its inside.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
My MIL is in a assigned living center, and I have been making small wall hangings for her door to her room. She loves them, and of course brags that her DIL made them, and the other residents like them as well, and look forward to the next one. Here's what I've made so far -
Those are so nice! how thoughtful
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
What a great idea!!! ... and SO cheerful... can see why she brags about them!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:33 PM

is there a pattern somewhere or a tutorial?