Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: darling sewing desk

I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?

OMG !! That is an obscene amount of money !

No one takes advantage of you unless you let them. ;>

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is an expensive desk, glad you walked away!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?

That is just horrid!
    Have you checked your local thrift stores? The ones by me all seem to have several of the sewing desks and they are under $25 - with a sewing machine in it!

Blog Entries
    I've seen the desk you are talking about. It is very nice but not worth the cost to me for one reason. The child will out grow it and unless you have several children to pass it on to the money would be better spent on a savings bond.

I personally think all sewing cabinets are over priced. I looked at some that cost more than my Viking machine cost. MY DH made me a sewing table from an old table and I love it.

My sewing table is made out of a computer desk I got at a yard sale for $5.00. My husband just cut out a spot for my machine and built up the keyboard tray underneath it to hold it up. It was very simple and incredibly cheap.

Blog Entries
    You can find something better than that, cheaper. Maybe you and your DD can paint it and make it hers alone. Try the second hand stores. I have an old vanity with 2 large drawers . It works great.

Definitely look on craigslist. I get stuff from along the road too for free or garage sales. DH can fix anything. Often a good scrub and then paint or a layer of shellac makes it look just right.

$10 Graigs list DH fixed the machine. It is going to my soon to be DIL.
    Name:  Attachment-141159.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  34.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast