Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: darling sewing desk

I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?

OMG !! That is an obscene amount of money !

No one takes advantage of you unless you let them. ;>

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is an expensive desk, glad you walked away!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    I decided to get my daughter a sewing desk for Christmas from the jolly man. I went by a store I go to frequently that sells sewing machines hoping that she could tell me what store to go to, instead she led me to the most darling little girls desk. It was white with pink trim and pink knobs. Just adorable! She said, "Let me see what I can do." As she walked away I was just devastated because I was sure she would come back with a price that was $20-40 more than I could spend and I would just have to walk away from it. Well, that didn't happen, because she came back with a price that was HUNDREDS more than I could pay. The desk was $450 with the discount!! Good Lord have mercy it was made out of MDF, not virgin hard wood from the Brazilian rain forest. Thankfully, I could walk away from that desk with no guilt. Is it just me or do you sometimes feel like you are being taken advantage of because you are addicted?

That is just horrid!
    Have you checked your local thrift stores? The ones by me all seem to have several of the sewing desks and they are under $25 - with a sewing machine in it!

Blog Entries
    I've seen the desk you are talking about. It is very nice but not worth the cost to me for one reason. The child will out grow it and unless you have several children to pass it on to the money would be better spent on a savings bond.

I personally think all sewing cabinets are over priced. I looked at some that cost more than my Viking machine cost. MY DH made me a sewing table from an old table and I love it.

My sewing table is made out of a computer desk I got at a yard sale for $5.00. My husband just cut out a spot for my machine and built up the keyboard tray underneath it to hold it up. It was very simple and incredibly cheap.

Blog Entries
    You can find something better than that, cheaper. Maybe you and your DD can paint it and make it hers alone. Try the second hand stores. I have an old vanity with 2 large drawers . It works great.

Definitely look on craigslist. I get stuff from along the road too for free or garage sales. DH can fix anything. Often a good scrub and then paint or a layer of shellac makes it look just right.

$10 Graigs list DH fixed the machine. It is going to my soon to be DIL.
    Name:  Attachment-141159.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  34.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    My oldest daughter's first desk was a flat closet door set over 2 small file cabinets, with a yard sale mirror set on the back, all painted. It was cheap, lasted a long time, and was well worth it.

My husband took an old sewing machine cabinet, cut a whole in the top and even got a lift for the machine so it goes up and down, course a stationary shelf would work just as nicely.

I bought a white desk at target- about $100- it has a drop down drawer for a computer keyboard- it's great for the scissors, extra needles, etc. Works and looks great. You could put pink knobs on it if you wanted- get them at Home Depot or other hardware store.
    Imagination is the key.
    Cheryl

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like to get things at yard sales etc.and fix them up for my little sewing buddy. They will appreciate it more with it being personalized

Blog Entries
    This is a good time to check out secondhand shops, antiques malls, peddlers malls. You might find something inexpensive, get some paint, stencils, and customize it yourself. Perhaps not from the jolly dude, but it is always great to get a surprise "just because" gift.

I don't mess around with gifts for those I care about this time of year. If I see something that makes me think of someone during the year, I get it and give it to them. This way my budget doesn't explode or self destruct and I can join in on all the exchanges that take place this time of year.

Check online. We just bought a lamp online that was $80 cheaper than the store and it was shipped for free. It's in our family room and it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr

Look in the office supply stores; Office Max, Office Depot, Staples etc. They have plenty of nice solid computer desks that can be used for sewing desks under $200. You can even get a matching file cabinet to put next to it for "accessories", thread etc. Check their catalogs online first, pick out what you like, call and ask if they have it in stock. Saves shopping time. If you have a Target near you, they also have really cute desks, I've seen white ones in there too, very girly.

I'm glad you walked away too.
    Go to the second hand stores, house hold sales etc.

And spend the other money on material and quilting notions.

Banned
    The Bernina in my sewing room is on an old desk of my Fathers (1886-1962)
    My cutting table is a large hand carved table my best friend's grandparents brought back from Cuba when he retired in the early 1900s.
    I always feel surrounded by love in that room.

You could find one at a second hand store and paint it pink!

Quote Originally Posted by pojo
    And spend the other money on material and quilting notions.
    Oh goodness!!

Aurora, doesn't your way take all the fun out of Xmas?

I got a computer desk as Goodwill for $10. It was sturdy but the keyboard shelf wasn't as sturdy as I like with my machine setting on it. I found a sewing machine cabinet at another resale shop for $4.53. Needless to say it followed me home.

my sewing machine sits on a desk my grandpa made. I second the checking at the thrift stores, garage sales for cheaper prices.

Office liquidation places might also have things that can be worked there, too.

Check your thrift shops. They have reasonably priced desks.
    I paid $25 for one for my granddaughter. It was in great shape.
    I later picked up a swivel chair for $5.00.
    They have different stuff come in all the time. They told me
    especiallly in the spring time when people are moving.
    So if you don't find one now, check back in the spring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast