Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dead Woman Walking! LOL >

Dead Woman Walking! LOL

Dead Woman Walking! LOL

Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Flip Wilson
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM

i think i always keep a few unfinished things around so there is something to anticipate. it's always been that way. it must be a deep-seated thing for me, psychologically, because i had a dream several years ago that stuck with me, and it still gives me a chill--i dreamed that my house was perfectly cleaned, no projects laying around. the carpets were perfectly clean, the furniture free of anything, anybody, any pets. no cat hair, no dog fur, no bird feathers, anywhere. the walls were pristine, the windows clear, with sun shining in. as i got to the last room i was surveying, the carpet was perfect, thick and beautiful. the sheers in the picture window were moving in the breeze. there was no sheet music on the piano, no dust on the oak table--so i laid down on the carpet, and i died.

it has stayed with me, as if it was yesterday. i think it was just symbolic of how i love my life--always something to look forward to doing, reading, fixing, sewing, "yarning". and i find myself deliberately not finishing some things--a chapter left in a book i fell in love with 20 years ago (i didn't want to ever end); a quilt top that's done, but has been in line for finishing for five years; the project someone asked me to finish--for them. it's the "trying on" of things that whets our appetite for creating things--and if it "fits", i know i'll get it ready for the perfect occasion. and don't forget the joy of discovery in all of what we do--it's the learning and newness that fuels us.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=svenskaflicka1;6923662]i think i always keep a few unfinished things around so there is something to anticipate. it's always been that way.

I, as many of you, have many unfinished projects. I have fabric and beads and all sorts of materials for things I like to do. I do not do these things only for the "product." I do them because I love to DO THEM. I love the activity. It is sort of like life, it is not in the completion, it is in the process.

I have the goal of finishing many of these things. A few of them are not interesting to me anymore and may never be completed. But it is truly the process I love. I would so like to have a neat house, with everything in its place, but that is not really in the cards for me, as I have so many interests that I just simply have stuff. And sometimes it is the rainy day mentality. If I ever get stuck here, I have plenty to do!!!

Christine
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Oh yes, recently I finished a quilt I started in the 70s. Still waiting for the binding... but hey, it is still good and is made of "vintage" fabrics.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:53 AM

While this is not possible with quilting projects, with your crochet or knitting if you are truly just never going to finish it, there is another alternative: turn it into yarn again. Ask me how I know. Works for me. (wink)
Old 10-12-2014, 04:29 AM

Here's my list: and I think I've missed a few. BTW, my list of planned projects is even longer. You can add Elsa's coronation gown and my Confessor's dress to this list and take away the Mod Mosaic quilt. Show your DH my list and let him know that you are actually in pretty good shape!
Attached Thumbnails 2014-09-07-16.35.35sm.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 AM

I sat back and chuckled as I read these Threads... We are all alike when it comes to unfinished projects... some of us have more then others. Myself, I seem to finish the small projects, and hand work pieces. But I have a few quilts that need to be sandwiched and quilted ( I do hand binding & hand quilting). I have acouple Swedish Weaving projects that I started last Jan. while I was in Az. Last Jan. & I want to get acouple of embrodery projects out of the way. I also want to make acouple of pairs of Pillow Case Sets, After 43 Yrs. the wedding cases are wore out, Very thin.
As you can see we all seem to be in the same boat...LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM

I can't believe you can count them up. When I put a project away unfinished - it leaves my mind too!!! I have absolutely no idea how many UFOs I have!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Seems there are a lot of us ! I have my crochet hooks,knitting needles and assorted embroidery needles busy at the same time....then the other month a lady gave me a Kumihimo kit (Japanese braiding), which somehow led me to
Sashiko, and I do have supplies to get cracking on some Boutis projects along with supplies for a nice Mountmellick tablecloth. A lap quilt is my nighttime project and TV viewing companion..... All projects in various stages of progress.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 AM

yep, right there with you. easily distracted by new projects. can't wait to start the new ones so the current gets put on hold with good intentions. well, we all know where the road paved with good intentions leads, right. looks like i will have plenty of good company. i agree that making lists is a waste of time. that's time i could be spending starting a new project.

i am trying to be more productive but the process is the thing!