Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I don't know about a sewing machine, but I've been told that is true when buying some things from Home Depot vs. small businesses. Eg, bath fixtures and appliances. So I don't know about the sewing machine. Anyways, I would only buy from a reputable store which is not far away so you can take advantage of classes and will be close for servicing and remedying any problems.
That's exactly true for John Deere lawn tractors. They do have different numbers though, but someone who just walks into HD wouldn't know that. They would just buy a JD because 'the name is good.' It's a totally different product though
Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM

I bought my Juki online from a sewing machine shop and the machine great. I also bought a Brother serger for my daughter from Amazon and it works great. I can't see them making two different grades of the same machine. It would be confusing especially if you sold one you had. How in the world could they keep it all straight?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
hi! while researching the juki 2010q that i am looking at, i talked to the nearest dealer who is about 4 hours away from where i live. the list price is 1600 and i asked her the difference between buying from a dealer rather than thru say amazon where i can see it listed for less than 1000. she said the boxed machines like the ones you get at joanns walmart etc or the online purchases are not the same quality as a dealer machine. she said that the boxed have the metal screwed right to the plastic and the dealer has a completely metal framework and then the plastic is just the casing on the outside. the other plus is the obvious warranty, maintenance, etc from the dealer. any takers on this? what do you all think? ive only been sewing less than 4 years and opinions are much appreciated! thanks!
I don't know what plastic she is talking about. The Juki2010Q is a metal machine. I think she was speaking in generalities about cheaper machines that you can get at big box stores. I bought a Juki2010Q online, from a dealer across the country from me. It's such a simple straight stitch machine you do NOT need lessons or classes like the complicated computerized machines would require. You can take it out of the box and start sewing! I paid $800 two years ago. You can't get them that cheap anymore, but definitely for under $1000. $1600 for that machine is just ridiculous. Any dealer trying to get that is definitely out to rip you off.

Don't hesitate to buy the machine online.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM

I bought a new Juki 2010Q just a couple of months ago from our local quilt shop/sewing machine dealer for WAY less than what you were quoted. I had checked prices online too, but my dealer came very close to the online price, so I went with them for the purchase. However, if there had been a huge difference, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy online for this particular machine. It's my second Juki; the first one, at TL 98Q, will go to my daughter soon.

Anyway, it seems like the dealer you are talking to is sure charging a PREMIUM price, and I can tell you for sure that not all dealers charge that much. Even with pretty high local sales tax, mine was under $1000, out the door.