Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dear Janes? >
  • Dear Janes?

• Dear Janes?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 PM

[quote=bearisgray]
    Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I think it would be worth taking the class. Jinny Beyer said she hand pieces almost all of her quilts while traveling (before 9/11 anyway)
    There is a story Jinny Beyer tells of sitting in a guild meeting one time. She was busy hand piecing away and did not realize until the room got quiet & she looked up that anyone was paying attention to what she was doing. Well, they were. Seems the rest of the group was shocked and one gal told Jinny that she hand pieced faster then most women can machine piece. I've never forgotten that. It's like a fun fact. It's because of her that I began to hand piece, though I admit I've never finished a quilt that way. I wonder if I can challenge myself to do one quilt using any techniques necessary to get the block done (applique, paper piece...) and one block done entirely by hand. It would be fun to compare the two finished quilts and see just how different they come out.
    Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM

YTQ and Kosmos, would you happen to have pictures of your DJs? We would love to see them!
    Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM

No, I don't. I'll have my daughter come over and take one with her camera, and put it on for me. I'm computer challenged, but she's a whiz! Try to get it done this week. Thanks for being interested.

YTQ
    Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 PM

That would be great YTQ! Iv'e been reading everything I can about DJ and her fabulous quilt. I've also been experimenting on a few blocks and triangles and have become quite addicted to them. Can't wait to do the blocks in January. Are you going to join us? Klue has really been putting together some great helpful info for all of us. Looking foreward to your pics!
    Old 11-28-2009, 08:18 PM

[quote=Janstar]That would be great YTQ! Iv'e been reading everything I can about DJ and her fabulous quilt. I've also been experimenting on a few blocks and triangles and have become quite addicted to them. Can't wait to do the blocks in January. Are you going to join us? Klue has really been putting together some great helpful info for all of us. Looking foreward to your pics! [/quote

I may be joining you.......I have a second idea in mind and have all the fabric......thought I'd paper piece it, but some blocks won't pp that easy, so would just sew them on the machine. If y'all go to DearJane.com, you will find tips and hints, and somewhere on that site is a score sheet to keep track of how many pieces you put into it. I looked for it the other day, but it eluded me. As I said, I'm computer challenged. I'll try to find it again and if that doesn't work, I'll get my dau to put it on for me by scanning it. It sounds like fun, and I do need one more project!! :-D

YTQ
    Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Oh my gosh!! I just came across this blog today... look at this beauty! A picture (with some story) of her completed DJ on her bed!

http://karensquilting.com/blog/2009/...ty-on-the-bed/
    Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM

I have my software and am planning to join the DJ group here. This will be an inerestng undertaking!
    Old 11-29-2009, 03:52 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    I have my software and am planning to join the DJ group here. This will be an inerestng undertaking!
    glad to hear it!
    Old 11-29-2009, 03:52 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Brazen
    Oh my gosh!! I just came across this blog today... look at this beauty! A picture (with some story) of her completed DJ on her bed!

http://karensquilting.com/blog/2009/...ty-on-the-bed/
    her quilt is stunning
    Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 PM

I love her idea of promising a quilt when a child is older so that she can enjoy it for awhile!