Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Defective Rotary Blade? >

Defective Rotary Blade?

Defective Rotary Blade?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM

I normally run my blades into the ground, and finally changed mine out after it was like running a butter knife over the fabric.

I have a FISKARS 60mm contour handle, that I've had for a few years.
The replacement blade was "name brand" but I can't remember what it was.
The packaging did not look tampered with or damaged in any way.

Now, when I changed out blades it seems like the new blade has a wee smaller diameter. Where I used to be able to cut through several layers of fabric, now I can only do one. More than one (doubled over) piece of fabric, I need to press my thumb on the button to click out the blade to give it a little more OOMPH.

Has this happened to anyone? Other than having a dull blade, it was working fine before the switch. And of course, I used the packaging to seal the old blade in and throw it away for safety, otherwise I'd have more info!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

sorry that this happened to you. i've never had it happen.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 AM

check to make sure you did not put 2 blades in that has happened to me
Old 10-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

How old is you mat?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I normally run my blades into the ground, and finally changed mine out after it was like running a butter knife over the fabric.

I have a FISKARS 60mm contour handle, that I've had for a few years. The replacement blade was "name brand" but I can't remember what it was. The packaging did not look tampered with or damaged in any way.

Now, when I changed out blades it seems like the new blade has a wee smaller diameter. Where I used to be able to cut through several layers of fabric, now I can only do one. More than one (doubled over) piece of fabric, I need to press my thumb on the button to click out the blade to give it a little more OOMPH.

Has this happened to anyone? Other than having a dull blade, it was working fine before the switch. And of course, I used the packaging to seal the old blade in and throw it away for safety, otherwise I'd have more info!
Did you buy the right blade for your cutter? If it was a "name brand" but not "Fiskar's", that may be the difference. It may fit your cutter slightly different (especially since you noticed a slight difference).

ETA: Are blades and cutters interchangeable? I have always purchased the blade made by my cutter and have never attempted to use another brand.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 AM

I would think about getting the smaller cutter where you get the blades for 1.99.Connie in CO
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 AM

Yes, I had it happen with a Fiskars blade from WalMart and mine was in a 45mm Fiskars cutter. Fiskars and Olfa are interchangeable. Fiskars blades from JoAnn's have been fine, just the WM one was dull.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 AM

I suspect someone switched blades at the store. I bought ink for my printer at Walmart one time. Got it home, opened it at the top and saw the cartridges didn't have plastic around them. I checked the box over and found someone had slit the bottom open, removed good ink, put in old cartridges and then glued it back shut!!!!!!! So now when I buy ink there, I open the package before I leave. Did I tell you about the opened Kotex box??????????? Yip, someone was desperate!!!! SOOOO -- it sounds like you got some bad blades.......take them back if you still have the package and get some new ones.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 AM

I am sad that this has happened to you but I am
glad too. You see, I was complaining to my husband
the very same thing!!! The exact thing happened to
me too!!!! My Fiskar 60mm cutter they don't make
any more but the blades they still make. So, I guess
I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay a little
more for a 60mm at Jo-Ann's to see if it fits the same
way in my Fiskar as the one I got at Wal-Mart. I thought
I had somehow tore up my Fiskar. Now I know I didn't
and it is the blade that is bad.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 AM

My rotary cutter is one of my most important quilting tools I never compromise on blades - intact I need to change my blade today it was not cutting as well the other day ready for a new blade - I dispose of old blades in a huge prescription bottle to protect myself and the trash people... or just inside something sealed my problem is I haven't been able to find the 5 packs anywhere lately and I love buying them that way - so I always have a sharp blade...