Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
denim circle quilt help >

denim circle quilt help

denim circle quilt help

Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 AM

I just recently decided (last night) that my next quilt was going to be a denim quilt and I found a pattern for a circle cathedral window style quilt. I started cutting and tracing the circles and realized that I don't know how to make the size of the square. The square needs to fit inside the circle and the circle is 5 inches in diameter. Can someone help me? I have a feeling this is an easy question but my math skills are failing me right now. Also, does anyone have any idea how many circles I would need to make a twin sized quilt? I'm thinking a lot more then I originally thought.

Thank you!
Sarah
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Can't help on the size of the square, but I'm curious if the denim is going to be too thick for all that folding... I would make a couple of test blocks before cutting a whole lot of them. Sounds interesting, though.

Also, welcome from Michigan.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 AM

I just saw this online, but I'm not sure they gave the actual measurements for the square. Try sewing 5 of the circles together in a cross shape, then measure the square area in the center. I know that's the cheater way, but it takes the math out of it.

Found it.... http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

draw a square inside your circle and you've got the measurement you need.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM

Try laying your small square ruler inside the circle and the one that is slightly smaller than the circle should work. I helped my daughter make her step daughter one, and I got the original pattern from http://equilters.com/library/jeans/jeans_gallbaros.html
Hope this helps. We used lots of scrap fabrics, and used a varigated thread and a wide zigzag to hold the circle part down over the center fabric. We also put a few pictures we copied in a few of the centers. It turned out very nice. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:42 AM

My question is: the circle diameter is 5 inches, is this before or after sewing? Did you start with a 5.5 inch circle? If you started with a 5 inch circle, and sewed a 1/4 inch seam, you'd end up with a 4.5 inch circle.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Using my CAD software, I have determined that if your circle is 5 inches after sewing and turning, your square should be 3.5 inches per side.

ETA: for other sized circles (without using math), draw your circle on a piece of paper and cut it out. Fold it in half, creasing it. Then fold it in half again and crease it. Then draw a line from the end of each crease along the edge of the circle. This should give you the measure you need for your square.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM

thanks guys! and the pattern is the one that pipp5 gave me the link for, so I'm guessing I don't have to turn them down before sewing because you sew over the seams. But I guess before I start worrying about the squares I should start cutting out some more circles.

and one question pipp5, where did you get all the jean material at? I found a box full that I could use in the back of our sewing room closet and thought I'd have enough, but now that I'm drawing circles, I have a feeling I won't have enough.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by pipp5
I just saw this online, but I'm not sure they gave the actual measurements for the square. Try sewing 5 of the circles together in a cross shape, then measure the square area in the center. I know that's the cheater way, but it takes the math out of it.

Found it.... http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html

draw a square inside your circle and you've got the measurement you need.
I made this quilt shown in the link. The square should be slightly bigger than your circle. The directions say that the corners should peek out about 1/16th of an inch past the circle. I laid my quilter's rule over the circle and measured it, added 1/16th inch and cut out a boardbox square for a template. Have fun making this. I sure enjoyed it!!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Oops, just realized that you asked how many circles you will need. I made my circles 7 and 3/4 inches (I used a salad plate as a template - very scientific!!) My quilt measures 52 x 62 inches and I used 120 circles. Hope this helps! Find a thrift shop that has a sale on and buy lots of jeans!! I really enjoyed working with the worn denim. It felt like handling my favourite pair of old jeans.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

i just saw a pattern for this in Quilt magazine, Aug/Sept issue on the stands now. easy to do.
you can take a ruler and fit it over your circle until you see what size square will line up inside it. i made a quilt without special rulers or pattern.
brandyquilts.com sells the ruler. you can look at the pics in her site for help too.