Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
denim quilt??? >

denim quilt???

denim quilt???

Old 09-14-2016, 06:04 AM

I really like the look of this. I know it was a lot of work.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 AM

Beautiful quilt!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:09 AM

I'm in the process of making a jeans quilt. Nothing as elaborate as cathedral windows, just different sized rectangles and squares. I read somewhere that sewing denim to denim can be difficult and so I've been putting strips of décor weight cotton fabric in between. I'll post a picture once it is finished.

Because of the weight, I think I'm going to back it with a flannel or similar but forego the batting.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Love your quilt. what did you back it with.
Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558193[/ATTACH]

This quilt has stretch denim in it -- the edges won't fray but that is ok by me.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558193[/ATTACH]

This quilt has stretch denim in it -- the edges won't fray but that is ok by me.
That is the kind of quilt I made with regular denim and cotton inside. Was yours really heavy? To put mine together I cut 2 circles and sewed them together, so I had the extra cotton material on the inside, which if you used just a square of cotton the inside yours would be a little lighter, but not much. When I tried to take a nap under it, it was so heavy that I felt like that lady in the commercial, "Help, I've fallen and I can get up." Additionally, the quilt isn't very warm. I figured for all of the weight it should have been warmer than it is.

By the way, what is the name of this pattern?

As for using stretch denim, it should work just like regular denim; you just have to be sure that the material can take a hot iron, at least as hot as you need for cotton. So, don't give that denim away.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

tessagin, this type of quilt doesn't need a backing; the denim forms the backing. Here is a link to a two-minute tutorial that shows how the cathedral window effect is achieved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_hKEDmxQwM
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 AM

I made a denim rag quilt for my nephew years ago...front denim, back flannel....He loved it....BUT it was sooo heavy...he mainly used it as a ground cover, when camping, ..etc
Old 09-15-2016, 05:17 AM

I have 3 books on using jeans and there are so many things patterns and ideas I do not remember her name but just google the junk jeans lady and I am sure you will find her and you should be able to find some of her books on ebay or amazon she even uses the loops on the waste band in projects I have been to several of her demos but that was several years ago in fact you may even be able to find a video on you tube good luck and have fun
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Yes you can make quilts from old jeans. My SIL has made several, including helping another SIL make quilts for her 4 children out of her DH's old jeans, as a memory quilt. They are heavy, however, she used square patches of jeans, including pockets, with flannel backing, no batting. I can tell you that although heavy, they are nice and warm on cold winter nights. They reminded me of the heavy quilts and blankets I had growing up in a drafty, old house where snow was known to come in the windows if the wind was in a certain direction. Somehow having all those weighty blankets and quilts made me feel snug as a bug on those cold winter nights.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:37 PM

I had some jeans I was planning to cut up. Last year at retreat I won a pack of 5" denim squares someone had donated. I think there are 300 squares. Not sure what I am going to make with them yet. I think there are 4 different colors. I gave my collection of jeans to someone in my guild. She can cut them up. I cheated and got someone else to do it for me:-)