Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Denim quilts

Oops, forgot to attach the photo of the denim/flannel one I just made. Here we go, again. S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thatd rea;lly nice........you did a good job :D

Interesting combination - denim & flannel. I like it!!!! :thumbup:

I have a denim quilt my grandmother made and it is just denim squares front and back without batting (I know because it has a few holes now). I is heavy but sturdy or it wouldn't still be around this long. I was just trying to figure how old it is Dad is 85 and his mother made it, she died when I was 7 which has be awhile since I in my 5.... Wow that quilt is getting old, and it is in the trunk of the car! :shock:

Blog Entries
    That is a pretty quilt. I would not have thought to mix denim with anything like that! Do they have the same wear or would one give out way quicker than the other?

I've mixed denim with flannel on several quilts. They make a soft cuddly quilt. The denim will last for approximately 17 centuries, so it will outlast anything. ha ha. But as long as you use good quality flannel, they wear about the same. Don't use that $1 stuff that walmart sells. I'm using one that I made in the mid 70's, and it's going strong! I keep it in our SUV for an unplanned nap now and then. S.

I just got done with a denim quilt using dark and light squares, low loft batting, and a flannel backing. The dark squares were pretty much all the same dark blue color and the light ones were of different tones of blue. For some reason its not as heavy as everyone said it was going to be...it was sure heavy when I was putting it together, but its almost as light as the flannel quilt I got with high loft batting (I think high loft batting).

i also inheirited denim squares and cotton squares. i mix and matched made half square triangles and different angles with both materials.

Even denim can wear out. My mom made the oldest grandsons quilts from denim one christmas. When they graduated the quilts were pretty much in pieces because they went everywhere with the boys. They all loved them. She made squares pieced randomly on the top and had a handkerchief backing. She since has made new ones for the ones who requested them and gave her jeans. Those she mixed with cotten, left some pockets on and if they were a namebrand jean she added that label. They are pretty awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2