Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Denim quilts

I am a new quilter. I was recently given several boxes of pre cut squares of old jeans fabric. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to use this bounty? I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Those denim squares would be great for a raggy quilt, but be prepared it will be very heavy. Happy sewing :-)

Hi, I'm new to this but seen your email. I've made some quilts out of old jeans and I just did the rag quilt method with flannel for the back. Grandkids just love them. Judy

I made my denim quilt before I even knew what rag quilts were. I pieced the top from denim, used batting, and chose a bright berry fabric for the backing. My family uses it as a picnic quilt, it is a favorite. The quilt is very sturdy, and grass falls right off easily when packing up. Be sure to use a backing that won't show dirt! The only downer is that the bulk required that it be a tied quilt, which I am not fond of. Sometimes when the kids are sick in the winter they want to cuddle with the picnic blanket!!!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the information...this will be the next one.

I made a denim quilt using squares. Sew with wrong sides together, about 1/2"...then cut slits (on the right side) to make them fray when washed. I wash them about two times, but be prepared for lots of raveling. No backing was used.

I made a rag quilt out of old blue jeans, I even used the pockets, I placed the pocket sq's at each corner of the guilt, and one pocket in the center of the quilt, I used red flannel for the backing of the quilt, and i used the red flannel as well to patch the holes in the jeans, So i could use the hollie part of the jeans as well, I used 1/4 " batting, I anchored each sq, before joinging, So there was no need to tie the quilt, It turned out very well and ragged up beauitfully after 2 washins, You could get creative with these by adding patches of the persons interest, to either the pockets or any place else that suits your fancy.

My daughter just finished a rag quilt out of denim squares and it looks great. Here are some sites that offer free instructions.

http://jubileehomespun.com/info/Quilt_Instructions.htm
    http://www.flynnquilt.com/freepattern.html
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/rag_quilt.htm

you can find some good stuff back here. These are good for rag quilts

I did one demin/flannel rag quilt, and that was enough for me. I use old denim jeans in quilts, almost any pattern will do, as long as there are not areas where several seams come together (like a star). I agree that flannel on the back makes them pick up dirt and grass when used out of doors. But I like using flannel within a quilt. Here is one that I made recently, but don't have it quilted yet. I use a "crowsfoot stitch". I'll post something on it later. Anyway, I am making all my kids a picnic quilt, and here is one for my daughter. I used lots of flannel scraps that she had as sleep shorts as a teenager (like Taz and Bugs Bunny on plaid). S.

Oops, forgot to attach the photo of the denim/flannel one I just made. Here we go, again. S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thatd rea;lly nice........you did a good job :D

Interesting combination - denim & flannel. I like it!!!! :thumbup:

I have a denim quilt my grandmother made and it is just denim squares front and back without batting (I know because it has a few holes now). I is heavy but sturdy or it wouldn't still be around this long. I was just trying to figure how old it is Dad is 85 and his mother made it, she died when I was 7 which has be awhile since I in my 5.... Wow that quilt is getting old, and it is in the trunk of the car! :shock:

Blog Entries
    That is a pretty quilt. I would not have thought to mix denim with anything like that! Do they have the same wear or would one give out way quicker than the other?

I've mixed denim with flannel on several quilts. They make a soft cuddly quilt. The denim will last for approximately 17 centuries, so it will outlast anything. ha ha. But as long as you use good quality flannel, they wear about the same. Don't use that $1 stuff that walmart sells. I'm using one that I made in the mid 70's, and it's going strong! I keep it in our SUV for an unplanned nap now and then. S.

I just got done with a denim quilt using dark and light squares, low loft batting, and a flannel backing. The dark squares were pretty much all the same dark blue color and the light ones were of different tones of blue. For some reason its not as heavy as everyone said it was going to be...it was sure heavy when I was putting it together, but its almost as light as the flannel quilt I got with high loft batting (I think high loft batting).

i also inheirited denim squares and cotton squares. i mix and matched made half square triangles and different angles with both materials.

Even denim can wear out. My mom made the oldest grandsons quilts from denim one christmas. When they graduated the quilts were pretty much in pieces because they went everywhere with the boys. They all loved them. She made squares pieced randomly on the top and had a handkerchief backing. She since has made new ones for the ones who requested them and gave her jeans. Those she mixed with cotten, left some pockets on and if they were a namebrand jean she added that label. They are pretty awesome.