Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: design or procedure?

Tons of ideas! Thanks!
    I use the baby clippers (no file on them) because they are small and usually stay sharper than regular clippers. Plus, when my family is in need of nail clippers, they leave the baby ones alone. :)

It's also called "Lap Quilting" and Georgia Bonesteel wrote several books and had a television show about it. Look in your public library.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Have you tried "quilt as you go" yet? How is it going?
    I've got a couple blocks that I made (paper pieced) that I'm trying to work on, but as of yet, they are still sitting on the ironing board

When I take "illegals" such as scissors, needles (lighter :oops: ), I put all the items in my makeup case which I keep in my oversized purse. I put them through the scanner and have never been asked to take them out by security. Once on the plane, I just do my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa
    You might have to think of something elso to do on your flight, I have heard from a few friends that the airlines will no longer let you take even your needles on board with you. Does anyone else know anything about this?
    I hadn't heard that - I usually cross-stitch on flights. I have been leaviing my scissors home (cutting the thread before hand) though because I'm afraid they may take it and I've had it since I was 12!!

You can find out the current allowable items at www.tsa.gov

A couple more authors of quilt as you go books are Marti Michell and Beth Donaldson.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by cnolan
    I have flown on United and on Delta with rounded scissors, lots of needles and pins, and crochet hooks. I don't think you would have any trouble with any of the airlines, taking your quilting supplies. Just make sure your scissors have the rounded ends, and if you take nail clippers, make sure they don't have a file, since those will be taken away.

Hope this helps!
    They'll let you have nail clippers, but not ones with files on them? What are you gonna do? File the pilot to death?

I'm in the quilting process of my blocks, some are a 12" block with a frame (or border) which makes it as big as 4 blocks, the other pieces are 2 blocks sewn together. I'm hand quilting, when I'm done I'll sew the blocks together, top only then fold over and blind stitch the backing. That is the plan, I'll let you know soon, I have enough quilted to sew one row together. I'm doing it like this so I can bring it to work with me and work on it when I have time. If the putting it together goes well it would make machine quilting waaaaay easier too!

Interesting. I've never heard of this quilting method before....

Quote Originally Posted by Shari in Hawaii
    Interesting. I've never heard of this quilting method before....
    I've got 2 blocks I'm playing with getting put together so it looks nice. Just have to get back in that room....IF I can find space!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2