Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design wall, just realize how important they are. >

Design wall, just realize how important they are.

Design wall, just realize how important they are.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 AM

I just have a big piece of Warm and Natural thumbtacked up on the wall. Works fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 AM

Because of the configuration of my studio and the space I have a folding design wall. My studio has a daybed that I can pull out for guests. Of course when I have guests I have to put the sewing machine down and turn the capinet and a few other things. Therefore the need for something more flexible.

If you can always have the design wall up, then go for it. In my case it was first a hanging [an easily rolled up design wall] then a folding design wall.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 AM

I have the same! I used (2) 4 x 8 - 1/4" foam insulation boards (about $14) so it is 8 X 8. It is "attached" to the wall with mirror hangers. I live alone so it has pride of place in my living room.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I made a design wall this winter and love it-why did I wait so long,lol.I used 2 sheets of the solid insulation and covered them with flannel-love it
I did this same thing. Got two foam boards from the home center, and put the flannel over it. Just use pins to tack the blocks on. Sure works well for me!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Every one needs a design wall - However- i was taught to also lay the quilt as it is to be used. - bed quilt on a bed, Wall hanging on a wall. the reason for this is that what looks good on a wall may not flow right/show pattern when laying flat. I speak from experience- I made a lovely 9 patch pazzaz quilt that looks great when on a wall but when laid flat on a bed you can not see the pattern at all. .
I totally agree. I have a small design space on a wall, but it is used to audition colors and fabrics. It seems weird to me to design something on a different plane from how it will be displayed. I use 2 twin beds mushed together with a narrow space between. That way, I can make adjustments from the center if needed. If I ever do a wall hanging, I'll want to design it on a wall, but not a bed quilt or throw.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 AM

I actually do not have one wall in my house that would work as a design wall. I use my bed that has a white bedspread and I am not crazy about this as it kills my back bending over. Yesterday I laid my scrappy quilt out and then pinned numbers to all the rows. I have used flannel backed tablecloths but they don't work as good as they used too. I am thinking of sewing flannel to the tablecloths, that might work. Hope you find something that works for you.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:36 AM

I have an old flannel sheet thumb tacked to the guest room wall. It works great. I had been using the queen bed in that room, but invariably, the cats would get in and make a mess of the quilt blocks. It always looked like a tornado went through. I also love the wall because it's hard to layout any quilt larger than 60x80 on a queen bed.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:08 AM

I love my design wall but it seems no matter how big it is it is never quite big enough. You really need one bigger than the quilt because the seam allowances are still full on the pieces you are putting up which makes the unsewn quilt quite a bit bigger than the finished product.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 AM

I have a long shelf with nice big ends. I am thinking about putting roller blind hardware on the inside of the ends and then hanging a roller blind covered with glued on flannel for a design wall. It could be rolled up out of the way when not in use. Has anyone done this??
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 AM

I didn't realize how much I needed a design wall until I tried to lay out a plus quilt on the floor.. The dog decided it was the ideal place to drop all his toys, and then ran off to get a chewy, he got tired of the chewy, and it was also an ideal place to take a nap.. Ughhh.. I still loved him after..