Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I didn't realize.

I didn't realize.

I purchased some comic book boards to re-arrange my fabric stash and started working on that this afternoon. I have only wrapped about 35 peices of fabric and have barely made a dent in my stash. I think I may need to order another 100 pack of boards. EeeeK! I didn't know I had accumulated that much fabric already.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

It is sooooooooo easy to loose track!

How are you clipping your fabric to the comic boards? I'm toying with ordering these for the little bit of stash that I have.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Blog Entries
    I use the boards too. I quit clipping the fabric to the board. It's not necessary at all. Just be sure to put the boards on the shelf with the end of the fabric facing outward.
    Got fabric?

What is the maximum amount of fabric that a board can hold?

Thanks-
    Ginger

Question

Color me confused. What is a comic book board?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Comic book boards are acid free cardboard that comic book collectors use for archiving their old comic books. They work great when you fold fabric around them. You can put the fabric on shelves like books. Typically they cost about $10 for 100. I've wrapped up to 5 yards (sometimes when there's that much I use two). If I need to clip them I use a bobbie pin.

Where do you get these boards?
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I've seen the boards on Amazon.
    Ginger

You could look in your local yellow pages under comic book shops. They carry them. Otherwise, Amazon is a great choice.

Banned
    Thanks for the info - I'm going to look into these comic book boards. My stash could use some organizing!

Local stores selling comic books will often have comic book card. I did not think I had much stash but am nearly done my third pack using 2 at a time.

I got my comic book boards on amazon, they were like $10 for 100. I bought them along with a couple other items that qualified for free shipping so I didn't have to pay that.
    I'm not really clipping the fabric to the board. When I have finished wrapping the fabric around the board I just use a straight pin to keep the end of fabric from unfolding. It's working for me for now.
    I think with these I will be able to organinze and keep my fabric organized by color. Hard to do when it is lying flat. So far I have only had to use one board for each length of fabric but when I get to the longer peices I have I will probably want to stiffin it more with a second board.
    I had read about these here on the qb and finally decided to see how they work. Work great.
    Tammy

Life Is A Banquet and Most Poor Suckers Are Starving!

I use comic boards too, I don't clip them, they seem to stay neat without. Have to say organising your stash on these boards is one of the most therapeutic things ever, lovely to see them all stacked and if you colour code them too, it's a joy to behold. Have to agree though I'm on my second pack of 100 hadn't realised I had so much fabric.
    Old enough to know, young enough to learn.

Fabric breeds during the quiet hours, and before you realize, the storage places are overcrowded!!

There has been a nice thread going on about the comic boards in the organization section. Here's the link:http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...s-t179823.html
    Pat

i found mine on ebay..i've wrapped as much as 4 yards on one.

Blog Entries
    I have Amazon Prime. Everything you order from Amazon is free 2 day shipping, no minimum amount. Plus if you have a Kindle you can borrow books from Amazon free, or watch movie and tv shows on Roku or your computer. And there are special sales for Prime members. I order for my guild members and they give me $2 shipping per order. That more then pays for the Prime fee every year.
    Got fabric?

Hastings book stores carry them also. I don't put any more than 5 yards on mine and yes, you go through the boards in a hurry. Since I have my fabric laid out to fold...I measure it and use adding machiine tape to write the info on. That way you can have a long strip of paper and it doesn't get lose in the folds. I also put if the fabric has been washed or not. It sure saves a lot of time, just look at your strip of paper and you know how much fabric you have and if it needs a 'bath.' LOL I really like the boards, can get to what I want without a wrestling match(fabric always won) and it makes the sewing room look so much neater.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

I use lg. paper clips.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
    How are you clipping your fabric to the comic boards? I'm toying with ordering these for the little bit of stash that I have.

I've been struggling with how to store my fabrics. Right now they're packed in plastic tubs but I don't have any place to store the tubs. I might try these as it's not a big investment if it doesn't turn out to be the right solution for me. I can make room in my bookcases for the fabric on the boards. Neither bookcase gets direct sunlight so they'll be OK.

I love Glenda's idea of labeling the fabric with its length and bathing status. Saves unwrapping to figure out if there's enough for a project.

I found mine on eBay. The worst part about buying these is the shipping. I found someone who had them at a good price with free shipping. They only had 200 so I bought them all. I think the total was about $18. I haven't started to wrap my fabrics yet. I am sort of afraid to see just how much I have.
    What is the smallest piece that you are wrapping?
    I have alot of fabrics in FQ, linear quarters and half yard pieces which I do not plan to wrap. I can keep these folded where I can see what I have. I was going to start with 1 yard and over pieces.

Blog Entries
    Hummmm. Who would have ever thought it? So many uses for different things.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I just got my reorder of 100 boards yesterday. I thought the first 100 would be more than enough. I have folded quite a few yards on one board. It seems so much neater than piling the folded fabric on top of each other. I always got such a mess when I pulled fabric from the bottom of the pile. I think this way is going to work so much better for me and I can see the fabric better also.

So, I went to look at these on Amazon. I noticed that they're labeled as acid free and coated on one side. Does this mean that the acid free coating is only on one side?

Also, I saw one pack labeled 22 point and one labeled 24 point. Does anybody know what the points mean? I wonder if it's the weight. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast