Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Determining the size??? >

Determining the size???

Determining the size???

Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 AM

How do you determine what size quilt to make.

I have seen some odd sizes of quilts - I guess I came from the old school of thought and my mind set is that If it wont fit a bed - I havent made it!!

Please let me know how you come up with what size to make your quilts. I am not sure what is a good size for a lap quilt etc.

I am going to try to make quilt(s) for my DGD fund raiser at school but didnt know what size to make it so that it sells well. Please help :cry: I am totally confused :lol:Thanks Cheryl :thumbup:
Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Power Poster

I like a 60" X 72" for a lap/utility quilt.
They are big enough to wrap up in and tuck under your feet :D:D:D
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Well, for me, when making lap quilts I take into account the size of the person it's for.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 AM

Alma's size is about right for me also, but PJisChaos is also true....it depends on the size of the person I'm making it for to allow them to be able to be wrapped up sufficiently to enjoy the lap/snuggle quilt.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 AM

I would do what ever you fancy. After all, quilts double as wall hangings or table cloths, in fact anything you want.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 AM

There is no perfect size for a quilt. A generous lap size, 60" X 72" is very versatile because it's great for snuggling up in and it can also be used as a bed topper on a single bed. It's probably the best size if you aren't sure who will be using it. That's also a size that won't take forever to finish and you can quilt on most domestic machines.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 AM

I don't worry about size since everything I make is BIG. My quilts start out being a normal size but somehow down the line they tend to grow. They have to be big enough to sleep under and/or wrap up in .......... just a quirk.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

When I make lap quilts they're usually around 50-60x70 which is generous, and larger than most pattern books will show.

If you're doing it for a charity auction, etc. I wouldn't worry so much about size as colours and design.

That being said, it's really hard to know what would be appreciated by others as we often get surprises, don't we? :)

Another thing to consider is whether the group has had similar donations before and how well they have profited from them? Or if it's been a disappointment?

I'd hate you to put all your time, effort, and the cost into making your quilt and then discover that this group won't pay a reasonable $$ for your donation. Just something to think about!

Good for you for wanting to do this ... just be sure it's the "right" place and time, so you are not disappointed! :)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

When I make lap quilts they're usually around 50-60x70 which is generous, and larger than most pattern books will show.

If you're doing it for a charity auction, etc. I wouldn't worry so much about size as colours and design.

That being said, it's really hard to know what would be appreciated by others as we often get surprises, don't we? :)

Another thing to consider is whether the group has had similar donations before and how well they have profited from them? Or if it's been a disappointment?

I'd hate you to put all your time, effort, and the cost into making your quilt and then discover that this group won't pay a reasonable $$ for your donation. Just something to think about!

Good for you for wanting to do this ... just be sure it's the "right" place and time, so you are not disappointed! :)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I like a 60" X 72" for a lap/utility quilt.
They are big enough to wrap up in and tuck under your feet :D:D:D
Me too.

and I also like to make baby quilts rather large 48x60 this is big enough for them to use for a long while! However it really depends on the person I am making the quilt for. I have a friend who is of a smaller build that I could make a 48x60 nap quilt for. My husband I have to almost make a double bed size quilt for him to nap under, he likes the cover under his chin and still tucked under his feet! He is 6'6".