Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diagonal Joins >

Diagonal Joins

Diagonal Joins

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I just eyeball it and sew away. Any discontinuity seems to disappear after the binding is sewn down.
Me too dunster, better done than perfect
Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I usually cross my strips with a little extra on each end. That lets me sew from V valley to valley for a nice join. I also have a piece of painters tape on the bed of my machine with a straight line drawn on with a sharpie. If I keep the little V valley on the line opposite from the needle, I can sew a straight join without marking.
This is my method too, including the blue tape!!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I overlap the ends too and sew diagonally. like Tartan. Another trick when doing corners on binding is to make sure that the folds lay in opposite directions.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

The two strips have to be exactly perpendicular. Draw the diagonal line. Must be 45 degrees. then use the markings on your cutting mat to align the strips perfectly. Pin, then sew. wen you sew, the seam has to start in the corner where the 2 strips meet, and end where they meet. I also had problems until started using my mat for alignment
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 AM

Diagonally joining the binding ends is my least favorite part of the entire quilting process!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I just eyeball it and sew away. Any discontinuity seems to disappear after the binding is sewn down.
Me too. I might fold the corner down to ensure a 90* angle (instead of something that looks like lightning), but once it's in place, you never see the misalignment.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 AM

I overlap them just a bit, pin on each side of the diagonal (place them parallel to the diagonal and far enough from it so they won't get sewn over), then lay an index card along the diagonal and mark it. The index card is flexible enough that it won't wobble when you lay it over the pins like a ruler will, but the edge is sturdy enough that you can mark a nice straight line with it. Then sew along the mark, leaving the pins in place until done. Works well for me.

Sometimes there is a little bit of discrepancy but as long as it's smaller than your seam allowance it won't show.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who finds it not as easy as the tutorials make it seem to be, and also that a slight imperfection in the join won't mess up the finished binding, I was afraid it would bunch or not lay flat or do some other strange thing that would make me have to rip it all out. Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and tips, I feel much better now.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:44 AM

Gee, I never have a problem with this. I don't think about it much, I just do it. For me, if I think about how to do something, I have a much more difficult time doing it.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 AM

Some days I get it right the first time....others I'm off just a bit. I'm not a perfectionist and never want to be....would rather walk on the wild side like Dunster.