Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I get myself into more than I can handle >

Did I get myself into more than I can handle

Did I get myself into more than I can handle

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

We had the same problem when we got our machine. There is nothing up here. I'm in northern Wi and really...there is one lqs an hour away and that is it. I have to drive 3-4 hours away to get to any real big town. When we bought our machine, they told us we should expect to get about 100 hours of practice quilting in. It's to help you realize that not everyone can just walk up to a machine and be good. It does take practice. You can go on youtube and watch quilting videos. There is a dvd that you might like and it's by the Pajama Quilter. Very relaxed quilter and she makes it fun. You can also try drawing designs out. When you practice drawing it, your building your mental memory and quilting that design will be easier next time. Spend some time watching quilting videos on youtube. It's free and they really do show you alot. I don't know if you have the lazer set up for pantos....but that might be an option for you too.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Great advice for Shirley, and I am sure the rest of us have gotten good information, too! Thanks to all for sharing! I also learned on my own because there was not much local support for new shortarm to longarm owners back when I first started. I learned by various means, but the best thing you can do is to USE your machine and you will improve each time you do a project. I learn something each time I make a quilt. I still have my practice quilts where I tried various designs and they are great for later reference. The biggest thing for me was a 2-hour FMQ class a few years ago at my LQS where the instructor helped me overcome the fear of making feathers! Oh, there are great books, videos, and, most of all, quilt shows where inspiration and motivation are plentiful! Have fun!

Last edited by quilttiger; 12-09-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Correction of a mispelled word
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Check your local library for books also, if you find any that are helpful, then buy them.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM

I too have a frame and do not know how to use it to its' full potential. But after taking classes with Craftsy I am much more at ease. They run specials all the time for 19.99. They are your classes for life so you can go back and look at different aspects at any time. You also can take notes as the class is happening so you can go back to that spot later without having to watch the whole thing. The Cratfsy classes are the best by far! Good luck. Let us know what you decide!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Shirley, remember you can do anything you put your mind too. Think positive and read/take a class or find someone in your area with a long arm who will help/give you some lessons. You go girl you can do it. Remember you had to practice to learn to drive, well practice and you will wonder what you were worried about.