Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did search still couldn't find answer

What does LQS stand for. The Q probably stands for quilting or quilt, L might stand for Long arm but what else does it stand for? I see it used a lot in reference to fabric and fabric quality.
    Thank you.

Local Quilt Shop

LQS is Local Quilt Store.

Blog Entries
    Oh!

Blog Entries
    LOL Brenda it took me along time to figure it out too when I first came to this site. And then the more I would read the posts, the more I understood all the abbreviations. lol

Sometimes when referring to LQS Fabric implying or stating that it is High Quality Quilting Cotton, it is in CONTRAST to "Chain Store" fabrics. The Chain Stores including JoAnn Fabric, Hobby Lobby, WalMart, and others carry brands of fabric that have a reputation for being of cheaper quality. Lately, there seems to be a changing landscape here, because some JoAnn fabrics are now costing about $10 per yard. Kona Solids might be found in both types of stores, so we assume the quality is the same. Nathan Fabrics are wonderful quality, and are sold at WalMart, so the rule of thumb is not completely true...

i agree yonnikka. i have seen the exact same fabric in chain vs. quilt stores. sometimes the only difference is the price.

Sometimes a fabric will look the same from a chain store to a quilt shop, but there can be differences...such as the quality of the fabric it was printed on, the alignment of the printed design, the coloration of the print, etc. I used to have a fabric that showed the difference...it was very obvious when you saw the two side by side. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Power Poster
    It is true that there are variations in the qualities of fabric available.

It is not true that ONLY "local quilt shops" (LQS) carry decent (nice quality) fabrics.

It took me a while too, I actually thought LQS was a real store somewhere, I kept googling it coming up with nothing, too funny when i realized what it meant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast