Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Die cutting machines >

Die cutting machines

Die cutting machines

Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Die cutting machines

I'm interested in a die cutting machine & am doing some 'homework' before purchasing. I don't think I
would be getting a GO but wondered about the book by Design Originals. Quilting On The Go is on sale at The Best Kept Secret. Would this book be helpful for any machine? Anyone have ideas on this I'd appreciate some insight. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:04 PM

I have 2 cutting machines--very different and I knew that before purchasing. The first was a Shilouette Cameo--which works great on card stock, vinyl and FUSED fabric for appliques. I bought it for the flexibility and the appliques cause I just don't like cutting appliques and figured I'd do more fused and machine sewn than hand turned. I use it, but since I make more pieced quilts, not nearly as much as I'd like to claim. For Christmas I received a Go BIG (the electric one) and LOVE IT!! Have just used for a few things--came with dies for flying geese and I took advantage of their recent sale and purchased the strip piece bundle since I figured I'd use that a lot. So far I've cut scraps into strips and then subcut into squares. It take NO time to do and so simple I'm feeling a little guilty--NOT. If I were to recommend just one cutter it would be the GO. Sorry I can't help you with the book--would think that the patterns would work if the die cutter you purchase as similar dies--but do check out Accuquilt's website cause they do have a sale that continues through Dec. 31. Still time!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I love my studio, which can also use GO dies. The book is available on amazon and after looking at the preview it looks like quilting patterns made from go die shapes. lots of reviews and you can look inside.
http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Desig.../dp/1574216678
What machine are you thinking of?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 AM

Second that. I did the same.

I'd like to know if Accuquilt is keeping the individual dies. I've asked, and have not received an answer. The new Qube system looks interesting if you start with it, buy having to buy a different size Qube for each size of block could get expensive. I like the individual dies. I can experiment more with scrap fabric.

Having the Silhouette or ScanNCut, even the newer Cricut, is a help with applique. You can resize the applique electronically on paper and try it out before cutting the fabric. Saves OOPS.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 AM

Great info. Just following as I have same questions.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:35 AM

the book has some cute patterns but the videos are more useful for learning to use the cutters. what sort of things were you hoping to find in the book? maybe someone could direct you to a source.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
I'm interested in a die cutting machine & am doing some 'homework' before purchasing. I don't think I
would be getting a GO but wondered about the book by Design Originals. Quilting On The Go is on sale at The Best Kept Secret. Would this book be helpful for any machine? Anyone have ideas on this I'd appreciate some insight. Thank you.
If this book is published for the GO and uses geometric shapes...why not, except maybe the dimensions of each piece might not be the same..depending on die used....if cutting with rotary and ruler, you can duplicate exactly......
Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns has a new book that all patterns are made using the Go. She has videos of her classes on you tube sewing the blocks in the book. I personally like the BOB dies. I prefer cutting the whole block at one time. Dies are addictive. I love my die cut machine it is just as important to me as my sewing machine and cost much less even with all the dies.

Side note. I just found out many are baking the mats to seal the cracks so they are like new again. I'm going to try it.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 AM

If you join the Accuquilt site, they have free downloads of 72 quilt patterns in the standard block sizes.

Tell you which dies and basic instructions for making.

Downloaded one and found it useful. I can print out the whole book or just one pattern. I didn't bother with size.
Most of the blocks for 4 inch finished squares can be done with 2 inch finished squares. I get to sample more that way.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I'd like to know if Accuquilt is keeping the individual dies. I've asked, and have not received an answer...
I've been dealing with accucut/accuquilt for 20+ years. As long as folks keep buying the die, they will keep it in the catalog, but keep a wish list of the die numbers and descriptions you are interested in. In my experience, if they discontinue a die, but you have the number, they can still supply it.