Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Disaster averted thanks to the board

OK, well maybe mini-disaster. I was recently asked to make twelve quilted placemats for a lady. She had the fabric and wanted me to get a red backing. After reading about Kiwiquilters problems with her backing bleeding, I decided I'd better check my red. And sure enough, after many, many rinsings and dryings it was still bleeding. So I went online and ordered Retayne. Voila! After treating the fabric with Retayne, it no longer bleeds. I don't think I would have thought to test the fabric except for reading the warnings on here. The lady's fabric had Holstein cows on it (black & white ones) and she would have ended up with pink and black cows!!

Glad you were able to Divert a real potential disaster. I swear by Retayne. It really does work.

cjk
    does that mean the cows would have given strawberry milk? LOL sorry I'm feeling silly today.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    does that mean the cows would have given strawberry milk? LOL sorry I'm feeling silly today.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    red is a very hard colour I was given some red face towels and they ran like mad couldn't wash them in anything other than red washing, fortunatly I wear a lot of red.

Blog Entries
    I just DISPOSED of about 2 yards of red fabric that bled and bled and bled. Fortunately I washed it alone, but each time it bled. Never thought of Retayne? and the garbage truck came 2 days ago. I'll get some and keep it on hand. That red was going into a Christmas lap robe that I know would have been washed often. I've always wondered why fabric I buy in the same place winds up being so different.

Would Retayne work on Batiks?

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have never heard of this product ..

my question to this is ... do you need to use the Retayne every time the material is washed? I have not used it and have no idea how it works. I have been fortunate in not having any fabric bleed.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I just googled it , it doesnt say once is enough or not..

I have not heard of this product either. Where is the best place to find Retayne?

I am getting ready to make some red, green and white Christmas projects. I want to avoid a potential disaster as well.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast