Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disaster averted thanks to the board

Glad you didnt have a dissater!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    How do you use it?

I put a sheet of Shout Color Catcher in my machine when I am washing clothes and I have not ohad any problem with bleeding.

A Color Catcher does not set dye. It helps keep loose dye from redepositing on the fabric. I find so-so results. They help but I think setting dye completely first THEN use color catchers is a smarter way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    does that mean the cows would have given strawberry milk? LOL sorry I'm feeling silly today.
    YUMMIE !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjk
    does that mean the cows would have given strawberry milk? LOL sorry I'm feeling silly today.
    many years ago when my son would have the nestle quick's strawberry mix in his milk he called it "bunny" milk cause of Nestle's having a pink bunny on the canister.;-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this!!!!! I just ordered a bottle from Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by BettyM
    OK, well maybe mini-disaster. I was recently asked to make twelve quilted placemats for a lady. She had the fabric and wanted me to get a red backing. After reading about Kiwiquilters problems with her backing bleeding, I decided I'd better check my red. And sure enough, after many, many rinsings and dryings it was still bleeding. So I went online and ordered Retayne. Voila! After treating the fabric with Retayne, it no longer bleeds. I don't think I would have thought to test the fabric except for reading the warnings on here. The lady's fabric had Holstein cows on it (black & white ones) and she would have ended up with pink and black cows!!

How cool. I have never heard of Retyane either. The website tells a lot about the product. I haven't had problems with bleeding fabrics of any color and yes, I use the Shout color catchers and they have really helped on any color transfer - especially when my son hides a white sock in with my colors! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rdupuis
    How do you use it?
    The bottle directions say to estimate the amount of HOT water it takes to cover the fabric in your washing machine. Fill the machine to that level and add a teaspoon of Retayne for each yard of fabric. Put in your dry fabric and wash for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water and dry at one. I have a front loading washing machine, so I just put hot water in a stainless steel bowl and put the fabric in there and let is soak. Then did a rinse and spin cycle in the washing machine and dried.

this is great information ~ thank you so much for sharing :)

Blog Entries
    I just spoke to the owner of my LQS. She looked this product up online and said that if you are displaying the quilt in an area where a lot of light and/or sun will reach it, don't use this product.
    It seems that it spreads the threads/fibers apart more and that does something to the fabric which makes it fade in bright light/sunlight.
    Just a friendly warning.

YAY!! I'm glad all this info helped! I get so much info from the forum...just have to remember it all is my problem!. :lol:

White Vinegar in the washer (1 cup) will eliminate all excess dye and prevent it from settling into other fabrics! I buy it by the gallon and then use it when I prewash my fabrics and nothing runs!

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    I just spoke to the owner of my LQS. She looked this product up online and said that if you are displaying the quilt in an area where a lot of light and/or sun will reach it, don't use this product.
    It seems that it spreads the threads/fibers apart more and that does something to the fabric which makes it fade in bright light/sunlight.
    Just a friendly warning.
    Can you post the information on that?

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    Just a friendly warning.
    Can you post the information on that?
    This information is readliy avaiable on the products web sight. It does indeed make the fabrics treated more reactive to sunlight.... but I would rather not have the bleeding of fabrics ruin the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
    White Vinegar in the washer (1 cup) will eliminate all excess dye and prevent it from settling into other fabrics! I buy it by the gallon and then use it when I prewash my fabrics and nothing runs!
    Please note that vinegar will work to prevent bleeding only on dyes that are of an Acid type. Acid type dyes are not used on commerically dyed cottons. Most of the benefits from using vinegar are in removing any finishes such as starch or commercial sizings. The prewashing is what is having any effect on dispursing some excess dyes, and not actually setting the dye. If all of the excess is not removed in prewashing , vinegar is not setting the dye, since if it is a cotton and acid dye was not used. There is much mis-information on this subject. Acid dyes are used on wool.

This is the info:
    Sometimes, non-dyers will recommend that you soak your new garments in salt or vinegar to "set" the dye. Unfortunately, neither salt nor vinegar can set commercial dye; the only value to the process is as an extra washing that helps to remove some of the extra dye. Retayne is far more effective, making colors last much longer, even after many washings.

Retayne is a dye fixative that will set most commercial dyes. It contains positively-charged particles which will stick to the negative particles of most dyes, helping to fix them in place in your fabric. Dyes that would otherwise bleed a little in every washing become safe in the laundry after treatment with Retayne. Retayne is extremely valuable for quilters who must make sure that their differently colored fabrics will not bleed onto each other when a quilt is washed. It is essential after dyeing with all-purpose dye, such as Rit dye, which would otherwise tend to bleed in the laundry. (It is not necessary for use with fiber reactive dyes, such as Procion MX dyes.)

There are two downsides. One is that the indigo dye used in blue denim cannot be fixed with this sort of treatment, because indigo dye molecules lack a negative charge for the fixtive in Retayne to stick to. The other problem is that cationic dye fixatives tend to increase the fading that is caused by bright light. Clothing that has been treated with Retayne should probably be dried indoors, not in direct sunlight. All dyes will fade if exposed to bright light long enough, but sunlight may fade them a little more quickly after they have been treated with a commercial dye fixative.

hope this helps to clear up some issues

As a chemist I rely on MSDS information (which I've read). When doing research, using credible sources is important. I would not necessarily accept a customer review as a credible source. It does make me want to dig a lot deeper than the cursory research that I started with. I may have to dig out some equipment and design an experimental procedure.

The point of not exposing to UV light is an issue with all fabrics. It degrades them all eventually.

BUT, if using Retayne you MUST wash in cool water thereafter or it will bleed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Hawkins
    BUT, if using Retayne you MUST wash in cool water thereafter or it will bleed again.
    Yes once Retayne is used you should wash in Cool water. Once something is washed using Syntropol ( not a dye fixative) it must be washed in Warm water for each wash thereafter.

Also, you can use Shout Color Catcher in the wash. It deposits the color on the piece of whatever it is. You can use it several times. Might even have to wash it several times. Can get it at the food stores. Also, Joanne's has something like that and you can use the coupon for it.

Peg-TX

Also, you can use Shout Color Catcher in the wash. It deposits the color on the piece of whatever it is. You can use it several times. Might even have to wash it several times. Can get it at the food stores. Also, Joanne's has something like that and you can use the coupon for it.

Peg-TX

I had tried white vinegar in the first rinse, and it still ran. I was hoping that would do the trick since I didn't have Retayne. Although, I doubt that I used a cup of vinegar.

Now that is the way to go financially.THANK YOU!!!No shipping and handling costs either :thumbup:

Does anyone have a front loading machine? How do you add the Restayne? I don't want to make a mess. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast