Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Why not try some of the wonky blocks that are meant to be more free form? You are more a Picasso than Rembrant. Just enjoy what you are good at and tell people that is the way you intended the finished project to be.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM

I hear your pain... and everyone has given some good suggestions. I just want to encourage you to ..... Not Give Up!! I taught sewing for many years before I ever made a quilt. And there were many of my students that struggled..... but after awhile, they got the hang of it and turned out some beautiful items. I'm hoping that's the case with you as well. I think the one-on-one lesson would be a good one if you can find the right teacher. Some teachers expect perfection..... others just have a way to work with you until you get it.... if you know what I mean.

So, I know you're discouraged right now.... but hang in there. We all have different learning curves.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

What are you using for equipment?

Are your templates or patterns accurate?
Are you using a rotary cutter with ruler and mat?
Are you cutting with a scissor?

Did you wash your fabrics before cutting them? (There are those that are adamant that step is unnecessary - and there are those that are equally adamant that it is necessary) - but that could be another factor with the fabrics shrinking when you press them.

If your garment construction turned out okay - think about what you did "right" with that - and what skills can apply to the piecing process.

As others have suggested, if you can get someone to work with you - or for you to work with someone - maybe making the same block and comparing how each of you are doing something?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM

If you love it, then don't quit!!!

My quarter inch foot saved me from a lot of headache. And some of the others have suggested different kinds of stops or guides to use on your machine. Those are very, very helpful.

Since you mentioned cutting straight, are you using a rotary cutter, ruler and mat? I find that between those tools and my 1/4 in foot, my quilts are more square and accurate. I can't for the life of me cut with scissors and a template. My mom made all of our quilts that way when I was growing up-- I have no idea how. For me, I'm lost without my rotary cutter.

Honestly, I don't think I'm a very accurate quilter either. I just adjust things as I go. I'll never win a ribbon at a fair, but my quilts are meant to be used, washed and loved. They're going to be less than pristine in the end anyway, so I just do my best, adjust where I need to, and it usually works out in the end. I'm the quilt police's worst offender, I'm pretty sure!!

One time I made this gigantic 4 patch with denim interspersed with cotton fabrics, denim borders and denim backing. Ugh. It was a total mess! I've gotten a lot better since then. Most of my improvements came from trial by error!

I think someone else mentioned trying a different class-- that might change things up enough that you find your passion again and let go of some of the frustration. Different teachers have different talents, and you might learn something new from someone else.

Anyway. Hope that helps! :-) (Really, if you love it, don't quit!!)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a 1/4in seam for your machine. It can make a world of difference. and if you machine did not come with one u can buy one. Also do u pin. i am a firm believer in pinning. If u want help, pm me girl lol maybe we can figure it out together
Old 07-30-2014, 12:50 PM

There are many solutions to not being ableto cut or sew straight - quite a few are mentioned already. However, whatreally matters is that you ENJOY the quilt making process. <o></o>
Yesterday there was a link on here about ablind woman who machine pieces quilts, hand quilts, machines quilts - you nameit - to the tune of hundreds of quilts during her lifetime. Her quiltsare not perfect, but they are hers and each and every one of them are beautifulin their own way. <o></o>
So, if your goal is to be more accurate, thenuse some of the suggestions already mentioned, research others, and keeppracticing. But, if your goal is to just enjoy the fabric, the time, theprocess, and the comradery of fellow quilters - then spend less time worryingabout perfection and just turn your handiwork into your own unique works of art.<o></o>
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

having someone watch you work is the best way to find what is going wrong. Ask your teacher for some private lessons.

And, maybe you are just being bit by the perfectionist bug and your work isn't really as you are describing.

Can you post some pics so we can see what you are fretting over?

Please don't get discouraged.
peace
Old 07-30-2014, 12:58 PM

You're not cutting on the ironing board, are you?

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 07-30-2014, 01:24 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm wondering about your vision and if you have neurological/muscle problems in your hands.

The only students I've ever had with long-lasting problems like you describe were a precious young lady with MS (I finally had to stop trying to teach her in my shop because I was so worried she would seriously cut/hurt herself and my insurance might not cover her) and my own mother at 89 years old with serious, deforming arthritis in her hands, and a lack of patience (I also wonder a bit about her vision). In 30 years, other frustrated students have improved with helpfully critical observation, patience, and practice.

I wish you well in handling your issue.

Jan in VA
Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Maybe your blade needs to be sharper if you are using a rotary cutter. Are you cutting through multiple layers of fabric? Is your ruler sliding a little when you cut? Are you striving for perfection? No one is perfect. I use non skid shelving to keep my ruler from sliding. You only need a strip long enough for control of the ruler. I am not perfect and neither are my quilts.