Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Discouraged >

Discouraged

Discouraged

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Default Discouraged

I have spent a lifetime sewing and doing crafts. About 5 or 6 years ago I made a queen sized quilt. VERY PROUD...no instruction.
Decided to join quilt class on a monthly basis. Each month we learn to piece a new block. I CANNOT DO IT. I cannot cut straight or sew straight enough to be accurate. (I have tried every suggestion known to mankind) I stick to it! Several years, same class. An occasional one comes out right. (BY ACCIDENT) I recently joined a swap and have delivered 12 blocks. It took me weeks and wasted lots of material. I am now considering dropping out even though I love it........Is it possible for someone never to be able to piece correctly?
I have tried pre cuts with some success. Magic suggestions is what I seek. Thanks for listening and your help.

Dorrie
Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Have you had someone experienced watch you work and see if they can point out where you're going wrong?

Maybe you'll have more fun if you stick to more forgiving patterns, where accuracy isn't quite as critical.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Achieving consistently accurate cutting and piecing takes time, patience and practice. If you're truly stumped about why things are turning out as you suggest, why not ask the teacher for an hour or two of one-on-one (you pay her, of course) so she can study your technique and approach and offer suggestions?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

An Accuquilt Go! would help you with cutting accurately.

For accurate piecing, I swear by having a physical "stop" on the bed of my machine. My current favorite is this adhesive guide: http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting...dp/B0085L2Y2I/ . Read the reviews to see how to position it (or I can post directions here if you are not sure). When sewing, all I have to do is make sure that the fabrics are butted up against this physical stop.

What thread are you using? I found that my seams became more accurate when I switched to Aurifil 50wt 2-ply for both top and bobbin. It is a very smooth, thin thread.

The above suggestions are my most magical.

Ironing is a problem for some quilters, as ironing can either help with accuracy or distort your block. Do you use steam?

Personally, I do not like to participate in swaps because of the accuracy issue. It would take too much time for me to ensure the kind of accuracy I would like to deliver to others. Plus, I have seen the huge variations in block size that can come from a group of quilters! Instead, what I look for are patterns that are easy and somewhat forgiving. For example, if I want to make a star quilt, I look for a pattern that "floats" the stars -- never a cut-off star point that way!

Where are you taking your classes? It may be that this is not a good venue for you. You may need to stretch your quilting wings a bit.

p.s. I should mention that my sister has great difficulty sewing straight seams, even with a physical stop, as she is disabled in several ways. However, she has still put together wonderful quilt tops! When I get them, I fix any big problems -- such as gaps in a seam or 1/16" seam allowance, or even holes (I patch with a fusible) -- before quilting. When quilting her tops on my frame, I use Glide thread (never gives me problems) and quilt very closely together (usually loop-de-loops). The close quilting takes care of any "bubbles" and other inconsistencies in the top. They look terrific when done!

Don't lose the forest by looking too closely at a tree! Accuracy isn't everything when it comes to quilting.

Edit: Regarding the Dritz adhesive guides, I advise *NOT* using their red ruler to position the guide (comes in a different package). I checked their red ruler, and it positions for a true 1/4", not the scant 1/4" we need for quilting. It must have been designed by a non-quilter.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:26 AM

That's what I would suggest also. Is having someone watch you. Maybe they can spot what is going on.

Or try a more organic free form approach to quilting. Where you don't have to be exact.

Do you have any sight or health problems that could be affecting you?

Love your answer Prism99. Quilting is supposed to be fun. Try not to be so critical of yourself and enjoy.

Last edited by Judith1005; 07-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

If you feel like you can't do any better try this. Buy a charm pack that you know each square is the same size. Buy a roll of Wonder Tape. It's double sided washable 1/4" tape. Take two fabric together on the edge and sew right along the tape line. Make a nine patch block. Now make a nine patch without the tape as a guide and see if there is any difference. I used Wonder Tape and basting glue by the mile and gallon and used only pre cuts until I learned to do it on my own.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-30-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Dorrie, first, remember your success. You have done a quilt with no instruction!!. Second, what style quilt did you make then? Can you still do something similar now?

I'm not sure that everyone is cut out for precision piecing, and (thank goodness for me), not all quilt designs require it. Those block classes often focus on blocks that do require precision piecing. And they're just not for (me) everyone.

Build on your success by working on a pattern that requires less precision at first. ('Sweet sixteen' comes to mind.) If you have trouble with a 1/4" seam, try a 1/2" seam. Choose block patterns that will allow for squaring up afterward without losing the pattern. I'm a great fan of knowing my limitations and working within that framework. If you work well with pre-cuts, use them!

Today I ripped apart three blocks and re-did them. But that's ok. I won't focus on that. I will remember the six that came out fine. There aren't magic tricks, but you must try to keep it fun.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM

All the previous advice is good. I wonder if you have been trying to make complicated blocks with lots of triangles, small pieces or lots of seams to match? If so, perhaps switching to some more simple designs with squares and rectangles might help you build your skills and confidence.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM

One more thing: my precision improved a great deal when I changed to a thinner thread, and pressed to 'set' my seams before pressing them.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 PM

I have macular degeneration and I do not see straight lines. But I have found two things that help me anyway. One is the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler. It guides my rotary blade exactly the way I need it to. I can cut strips, squares, and rectangles with it, and the sides will be straight. The second is a thinner thread, like Shelley suggests. That makes my ironing lie flatter.

If you don't have a June Taylor Shape Cut ruler, it might be a real answer for you. I had to be shown how to use it originally, but it is easy to understand, once you have done it once.

Don't give up. If you enjoy what you are doing, who cares if it is perfect. My quilts aren't, but no one has ever fussed about them.

Oh, I just remembered, I also changed the quarter inch foot I was using on my machine. I started off using one that had that little thing sticking down for the fabric to bump up against. I ended up usually pushing my fabric under that ridge thing. I was surprised that I was able to sew better with a foot that didn't have that thing sticking down. Maybe try out a different quarter inch foot? I had been quilting about a year before I figured that out. I am on my fourth year of quilting, but about my 55th year of sewing...

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 07-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.