Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 AM

This is the place for you! With all the Knowledge everyone shares you will be able to accomplish anything!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM

Why try and do a complicated quilt, where everything has to match up??? Try a small wall hanging or table runner or even a place mate or two, and use up any small pieces of fabric you might have, and do it in crazy patch, it is so easy, and no one cares about the seams, ironing, and such, and you know??everyone you do will be different.

It is what really attracted me to quilting in the first place. And it makes a beautiful background piece for some applique` too.

Try it and see how you feel, there are some good books out there on the subject, and am sure you can find something on the Internet too.

Good luck and have fun!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Welcome from NE Colorado..dont give up! You will learn from doing...and from listening! The people on this board are awsome and so willing to help with any question you will ask. Pressing is SO important...I had to learn the hard way, but learn I did. Now my iron is on one side of my machine and my rotary cutter etc., on the other. Just standard. Love what you do, and do what you love.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Look for the book entitled, "Quilting For Dummies". My teacher has this book and it has a wealth of information.

We have a quilting group that meets at our local library. Myself and 6 friends meet at our teacher's house each Tues afternoon, I call it Quilt Therapy and it surely helps me get through the rest of the week.

As one said, check around your area for individual groups, or retired groups who would probably be more than willing to help you.

Good luck, and keep quilting, now matter what!

delma
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Another thought, go to your local liibrary for quilt books, they have some new ones and old ones, check them out and read, read, read.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM

welcome!
You might try some books from the library for beginning quilters. The ironing is just to smooth things to make it easier to put together. Do not open the seams as you would if you were sewing garments, but press all seams in one direction so when you put pieces together, one piece will have the seams to the right and the other piece will have them oposite -- the same number of layers on each side, but it is easier to match seams and smoother in the finish.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:39 AM

There is also a book out from the dummies series called quilting for dummies, I got that to help get me started, it is very informative. The quilters on here are awesome too, ask questions, you will get answers. Hang in there!!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Hi Babes. I am also fairly new to quilting although I have sewn most of my adult life. I am a quilter wanna be. I have always admired quilts and have finally decided that I need to stop admiring and just get started which is why I joined this board. I noticed one of the suggestions was to go on line. Just do a you tube search for beginning quilting. I have gone on line and watched multiple video's to help take the fear away from getting started. I have had the experience of some classes years ago. There was a great quilt shop in Ironwood , Michigan that was about 35 miles away from where I had lived in WI but unfortunately with 6 children, I had little time left at the end of the day to cut and piece. Now, I have no excuse as my youngest is away at college so I am determined to stop being a wanna be quilter and just become a quilter. I have decided to try strip quilting. I have been researching on line and found a beautiful jelly role baby quilt that was done by one of the quilters on this board that became my inspiration. Don't get discouraged. Practice cutting on muslin which is relatively inexpensive rather than on the more expensive fabrics. Keep in touch and I will do the same as we are basically in the same boat, beginners. I love the wealth of knowledge on this board.