Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
displaying quilts for sale at boutiques >

displaying quilts for sale at boutiques

displaying quilts for sale at boutiques

Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 AM

Default displaying quilts for sale at boutiques

Hi everyone,

I am going to be doing some boutiques in the near future. I will have crocheted doilies, pillow cases, quilts, receiving blankets, crocheted hot pads and dishcloth sets, placemats, and other items. I know with the info they sent out, I can not just have a table but need to do some shelving. Some of the boutiques my daughter and I will be in person, but some of them are set up like little stores, where they have one main check out area. These all the crafters take turns working a shift for security and such. They have done these for around 14 years, and most people I have talked to do pretty good. My question is how is the best way to display the quilts. One thought I had was to make a little bag for them with a plastic pocket which would hold a picture of the quilt and then list the size, and so that people can get a feel for the size, specify that it could be a baby quilt, lap quilt, picnic quilt, etc.

The first one we hope to be doing is to benefit one of our local NICU units. All the booth fees go to this cause and then if I want to I can donate a portion of sales. The 2nd one is one where it has the main check out, and goes from the Wednesday to Saturday before mothers day. I did see the post about making a PVC pipe hanger and I like that, but I need some other ideas as well.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Are you familiar with Pinterest? They have LOTS of ideas and pics for displaying and showing crafts.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:31 AM

How about a ladder. You can hang quilts on the rungs. Or if it is a small step ladder where the steps are little platforms you can use as shelves.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I was very lucky to find a tri-folded unit about 5.5" in height and 27" wide with 4 vertical horizontal bar on each of the units built into a simple frame. Made probably of pine and stained. An employee's husband at my LQS made them and sold them in the store. If you have someone that can make you one, I can take detail pictures. The LQS close just as the economy was sinking. I don't do shows anymore but it is a great place to keep quilts in progress. That is why I am not posting a picture!! TOO MANY UFOs
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 AM

I used to do boutiques all the time....the central checkout ones. Generally they want an upscale way of displaying your goods. Height is always an advantage...customers don't look down at a flat table. Talk to the one in charge before making your display...to make sure it is what they will allow.
If you have a laminating machine available to you....try a hang tag with a photo of the quilt unfolded, on a bed or draped nicely. Include the measurements and attach with a nice ribbon and safety pin.
I bought a folding shelf unit at Hobby Lobby that displays my goods quite well. I have seen wire shelf units used also those wire cubes...
Good luck....