Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disposing old quilting magazines >

Disposing old quilting magazines

Disposing old quilting magazines

Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Default Disposing old quilting magazines

I have piles of quilting magazines from years of subscribing to them. My question is....is it okay to donate the magazines if I have taken pages out of them for quilts I want to make someday? Only one or two from each magazine. It seems criminal to me to just throw them away even though I don't know who would want them. Before moving to our new house I had them all in cabinets in the sewing/laundry room but in my new sewing room there is no space for them.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 AM

Personally, I hate looking through someone's discarded quilt magazines and finding that the pattern I like is not in there
But others may not feel that way. If you bring them to your guild meeting or your group of quilting friends, let them know that patterns might be missing.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 AM

I am considering donating mine to the local senior center and drop off at Dr. Office.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:21 AM

I would give them to a thrift shop or the Goodwill. People know when they are buying things from there that it isn't all there or in perfect condition. There might be something someone could use for inspiration. I don't like throwing things like that away either.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

If there is something you want to keep, then find a friend with a scanner and print what you want. Quilter's are always leaving fabric and magazine at our senior center.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 AM

If I tore pages out I'd just put them in my recycle bin.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 AM

I donate mine to the Friends of the Library and they sell them in their little store that benefits the local library. I've never removed pages and can't recall if I've purchased any with pages removed, but you could always notify the recipient and see what they think.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:47 AM

I just donated a BUNCH of older quilting magazines (I kept all that were in the 2000 years) to a church in Paducah, KY that has a little thrift store - they make money to repair low income people's cars. But, I don't think that I had taken any pages out of the magazines.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM

I would donate them some place - the local Senior Center if there is one is a great place. I know my mom picks them up from there and she loves looking through them and finds things she wants to do or truthfully just the pleasure of looking through them. If you aren't paying for it no biggie if what you want is missing - if you find something really great you have the magazine name and date and can search for it.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 AM

I remove the pages I want, then put them in recycle. I purchased several quilt magazines at a guilds recycle room that they run during their quilt show and was extremely disappointed to find that patterns I liked were no longer there. Granted I only paid 25 cents but I think it is something they should have just given away.