Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I...? >

How do I...?

How do I...?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Default How do I...?

How do I make a turned-edge applique spiral? I've tried it a couple different ways. This time I made it all the way to the center, but then my fabric wouldn't lay flat when I tried to turn around and work my way back out on the other side. The spiral is 1/2" wide so I also attempted to do it with 1/2" bias tape, but that didn't work either.

The pattern says I can do it raw or needle turned so there must be a way (I assume). I cut out my circle & then carefully cut through the exact center of the space between each concentric spiral until I reached the center. I cut out the center piece (looked like a small petal). The first time I tried just marking the design on my fabric (true needle turn). This time I tried pre-pressing the edges under to align with freezer paper template & used a bit of applique glue to hold the applique to the background fabric. Somehow I've got these huge bunches in my applique when I started to stitch down the inner curve of the spiral. I did clip my edges since it's an inner curve by 1/8". That failed, so I tried a scant 1/4" cut but I still have tucks/bunches in my fabric. What am I missing???

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
saf

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
How do I make a turned-edge applique spiral? I've tried it a couple different ways. This time I made it all the way to the center, but then my fabric wouldn't lay flat when I tried to turn around and work my way back out on the other side. The spiral is 1/2" wide so I also attempted to do it with 1/2" bias tape, but that didn't work either.

The pattern says I can do it raw or needle turned so there must be a way (I assume). I cut out my circle & then carefully cut through the exact center of the space between each concentric spiral until I reached the center. I cut out the center piece (looked like a small petal). The first time I tried just marking the design on my fabric (true needle turn). This time I tried pre-pressing the edges under to align with freezer paper template & used a bit of applique glue to hold the applique to the background fabric. Somehow I've got these huge bunches in my applique when I started to stitch down the inner curve of the spiral. I did clip my edges since it's an inner curve by 1/8". That failed, so I tried a scant 1/4" cut but I still have tucks/bunches in my fabric. What am I missing???

Thanks!
I'm afraid I don't know how to post a link but there is a video on Youtube by Becky Goldsmith entitled 'How to applique inner curves the piece o' cake way'. I found this very helpful. Hope it works for you.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 AM

I don't know if it's of any help to you now, but I do inner curves first making sure that I have the rest of the applique lying flat as I work. That means that the bias will smooth out on the wider edging and can be slipped under with the needle more easily.
If you stitch the outer (longer) edge down first then either you need to pull the bias wider to tighten it up (and thus alter your applique width or the depth of your turn under) or use micro pleats to contain the volume of the fabric.

Thank you for the tip Saf; I'll have a google for Becky Goldsmith; there's always another way to do something, and it's interesting to see some other ideas.

Mary
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Thanks, Mary. I'm about to start my next attempt & I will try doing the inner curves first this time. I also made my own pattern that took the design & widened it throughout to 1" (0.5" + 1/4" on each side), keeping the 1/3" spacing between. I just finished applying some wash away/peel away double sided fabric tape & can see if that makes any difference, but your technique makes perfect sense. I haven't done much bias work since my dressmaking days & forgot how tricky it can be. You do the same thing with dresses -- sewing the inner curves first. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the YouTube suggestion, saf. I actually have watched her video. It's great for learning basics about curves. I have had no problems sewing circles, wavy leaves, stems & other curved lines. It's just this one spiral that sits inside a circle to form the inner part of a flower that is giving me so much grief. To be honest, I'm not sure the pattern was actually designed to accommodate needle turn for this flower. The pattern says you can do it, but since it's a spiral (mostly bias cut, but some parts are SOG), and it has to fit within another applique piece, I think there probably needs to be some kind of change with the measurements. Waiting to hear back from the pattern designer.

Off to try round #5. lol
Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Start at the center, work your way out on the inside, then round the outer end & back toward center on the outside.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Does the appliqué lay flat before appliqueing it down? If so I would attempt to stick it down with Elmer's washable school glue before stitching.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Does the appliqué lay flat before appliqueing it down? If so I would attempt to stick it down with Elmer's washable school glue before stitching.
Yes, it lays flat and I have used a little dot of Roxanne's glue to baste a bit of it before I stitch it down, but I can't really go further than that with a turned edge design. I'm doing my best to avoid a raw edge since it is so narrow a spiral & it going on a baby quilt. I'm concerned there really won't be much of anything left of the spiral after repeated washings if I use a raw edge design.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

When doing needle turn appliqué, I tend to scrunch/stretch my background fabric resulting in a wrinkly background. I have found putting my background in a non-slip embroidery hoop helps me. I then pin my shape in place and no matter how I sew the shape in place, the background doesn't pucker.
With doing such a tight spiral, you are going to have to clip the edges of the seam allowance so that the seam allowance can open a bit in the back. I leave about 2 threads from the edges when clipping.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post

With doing such a tight spiral, you are going to have to clip the edges of the seam allowance so that the seam allowance can open a bit in the back. I leave about 2 threads from the edges when clipping.
What do you mean about leaving 2 threads from the edges? You mean that you clip the inner curve to within 2 threads of the other edge? I was clipping in between 1/8-1/4" as my turned edge was turned under 1/4" on each side.

I am heading to HL now to pick up a 4" hoop. Hopefully they still have one & hopefully it will work okay since the diameter of the outer circle is only 4.5" (the spiral sits inside the circle). Otherwise I guess I will applique the petals onto my background fabric, then the circle & then pray, pray, pray that the spiral actually comes out okay going through 3 layers because that will be a nightmare to try & rip out. :P
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Yay! I finally got it! Sample came out perfect. Working with the real fabrics now.

I found out that I needed to make an entirely new pattern for the spiral. I had to keep the exact dimensions of the space between each spiral while making the spiral itself consistently 1" wide. I traced the original pattern for the spiral onto the circle to use as a guide before fixing it onto a 4" hoop. Then, I used a tiny bit of applique glue & 2 pins to help with the starting stitches & just kept sweeping under each stitch bit by bit starting with the inner curve & then moving to the outer curve. I would totally never do this again except for the fact that now I have the patterns and the technique down & honestly, it really does look nice (I'll post pics when I get one done with the pretty fabrics).

Thank you all SO, SO much for your help & input. I would have never made it without you!!! Now I know that when a pattern says it can easily be used for either raw edge or needle turn applique by simply adding 1/4 inch, there's nothing "simple" or "easy" about it. :P At least I finally got it... what a feeling of accomplishment (and it's all of yours accomplishment, too)

Thanks again!