Thread: How do I...?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 11:54 PM
saf

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
How do I make a turned-edge applique spiral? I've tried it a couple different ways. This time I made it all the way to the center, but then my fabric wouldn't lay flat when I tried to turn around and work my way back out on the other side. The spiral is 1/2" wide so I also attempted to do it with 1/2" bias tape, but that didn't work either.

The pattern says I can do it raw or needle turned so there must be a way (I assume). I cut out my circle & then carefully cut through the exact center of the space between each concentric spiral until I reached the center. I cut out the center piece (looked like a small petal). The first time I tried just marking the design on my fabric (true needle turn). This time I tried pre-pressing the edges under to align with freezer paper template & used a bit of applique glue to hold the applique to the background fabric. Somehow I've got these huge bunches in my applique when I started to stitch down the inner curve of the spiral. I did clip my edges since it's an inner curve by 1/8". That failed, so I tried a scant 1/4" cut but I still have tucks/bunches in my fabric. What am I missing???

Thanks!
I'm afraid I don't know how to post a link but there is a video on Youtube by Becky Goldsmith entitled 'How to applique inner curves the piece o' cake way'. I found this very helpful. Hope it works for you.