Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltaddiction View Post
When I first started quilting I said that I thought machine embroidery was cheating some how.
LOL, 2 years into it and my mom still says that about my machine embroidery. But she really likes the things I've made for her, in fact she has asked me about making certain things.

Cari
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
After reading all the posts I hope we are not letting each other have our opinions without feeling defensive about our likes and dislikes. Nothing is going to appeal to everyone. Isn't that okay? We all work hard on our quilting and use whatever style(s) we enjoy. Appliqué isn't for everyone. Neither is paper piecing. It all takes motivation, talent and skill at varying levels. I probably will never get out of the intermediate level but that's okay with me. Let's just keep quilting and have fun. I hope everyone has a nice day tomorrow.
Thank you Alyce. Hope your Thanksgiving is lovely, too.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Agreed - the second quilt used an embroidery machine to do "quilting". I guess my comprehension of quilting cat's statement is wrong. I apologize for offending.
No offense here!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Regardless of which side of the fence you are on - keep informed about the technology. A lot of people don't want to do all by hand quilting, and they are probably the majority. Since they are in the majority, that's who new products and techniques will sell to. Eventually you will see something you really like, and pattern is only available by a custom app.
Sewing machine mfg will try to incorporate more and more to sell machines. Just because you don't like it, you still need to be aware of it. Being aware can help you find the patterns and books you want before they disappear from main markets.

For instance - a download pattern is usually cheaper than a paper one. More and more companies are starting to assume that most have a computer. If you do not have a computer, or can't get an internet connection, too bad for you. If you can't download when the design is current, in a lot of cases, it's no longer available.

Some newer types of quilting might want or need a special machine. If someone developed a 6 head machine quilter on a frame that could change quilting thread colors by a program -------
I'd bet it would sell, especially as the style would be limited to those who owned such a machine and they could charge accordingly to recoup the outlay.

It could be done manually, but it would be very labor intense. I don't think I'd want to tackle it.

As for today:
I've been annoyed that an app I happen to like is only available on a certain device - usually an Apple device. (I've heard iOS is easier to develop for)

I use Android and Windows mostly. I can print or download patterns, but any special programs do not run on Linux. If I see an older book now that will help avoid tech discrimination in the future, I'm buying it.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM

in deference to the OP. if I were doing a block swap, I would be expecting pieced blocks unless it were a machine embroidery block swap. I wouldn't expect the OP to participate in such a swap.

That said, I love All embroidery--machine, hand, cross stitch, Brazilian, etc. When I learned as a kid, what I hated was that that blue ink didn't wash out on the pre printed linens!
Old 11-26-2015, 05:34 PM

then what about quilt as you go? do you consider that not quilting?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
then what about quilt as you go? do you consider that not quilting?
If you are asking me, I do consider it quilting. It's a quilting method, having nothing to do with a machine that lays down a dense patch of thread on the surface of fabric.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
in deference to the OP. if I were doing a block swap, I would be expecting pieced blocks unless it were a machine embroidery block swap. I wouldn't expect the OP to participate in such a swap.
What about a mug rug swap? Or a mini quilt swap? People are putting one big machine embroidery in the center of a mug rug and calling it good.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
What about a mug rug swap? Or a mini quilt swap? People are putting one big machine embroidery in the center of a mug rug and calling it good.
Whats the difference between a nice embroidered design and a fussy cut piece of fabric?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 PM

This topic is much heated as asking about hand quilting vs. machine quilted. Who knew? Do what makes you hapoy.

Sandy