Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
It is just personal preference. I don't appreciate machine embroidery or computerized long arm quilting the way some do. I also do not like a densely quilted quilt. I can appreciate the skill and talent it takes if the quilter goes freehand, but I still don't like it. I'm sticking with what I like. I have never entered a swap.
This describes me, as well!
Old 11-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post

What would anyone say to no sew raw edge applique being a form of quilting?
I would say it's not a form of quilting. It's a form of applique.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
We have the headline to blame for that. I suspect people read the title of a thread and then add their comment at the end without reading through the discussion. I never do that - of course! (Ahem.)

"All" should be "some". Nothing is "all" just like there is no such thing as "best" when comparing macines, for example. The definition of Quilting is sewing together 3 layers. I found the title misleading. I interpreted it as asking if one used an embroidery machine for actually sewing the 3 layers together vs. block embellishment . Been a likely discussion since!

sandy
Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
"All" should be "some". Nothing is "all" just like there is no such thing as "best" when comparing macines, for example. The definition of Quilting is sewing together 3 layers. I found the title misleading. I interpreted it as asking if one used an embroidery machine for actually sewing the 3 layers together vs. block embellishment . Been a likely discussion since!

sandy
Actually when I posted the thread, I had no idea you could use an embroidery machine to quilt. (Please pardon my ignorance.) What I was talking about was the actual machine embroidery-- dense blocks of thread-- that people are putting on quilts and quilted items so often. It seemed to me to be universally embraced. Every time I see pics posted of quilts or swap items of machine embroidery, all you read are ooohs and ahhhs over it. Just wondering if everyone loved it, as it appears, because I dont.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:38 AM

I knew what you meant, and I too learned a few things from the discussion.

I think you've got your answer. You're definitely not alone in thinking that machine embroidery, although popular, is not embraced by everyone. I hasten to add I've seen it used with restraint and it can look really nice, but usually says "I spent six thousand dollars for this machine, so I'm going to use it" - often with "cute" or "adorable" results. I happen to dislike anything cute/adorable (even for babies), words on quilts (except for a discreet date and signature for posterity), buildings, tea/flower pots, animals, etc. but don't begrudge others who do their enjoyment of this stuff. BUT, if you ask me I'm not going to lie.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 AM

I think maybe to 'keep up with the times', swap hostesses should specify in the 'rules' whether or not embroidered items (blocks, mug rugs, doll quilts, etc) will be acceptable as part of the swap. That way, everyone who signs up would be on the same page.

It'd be no different than saying beforehand whether or not tying was acceptable in a swap of 'quilted' items. In reality, a person's like/dislike of embroidery on quilts only has a direct effect on them if they join a swap.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Here is an embroidered quilt. It is not the best picture of the quilt and it has not yet been blocked, but nor does it fall into the other categories that you don't like. Now just hope I can post the picture.
Attached Thumbnails sleigh-ride.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 AM

Well, it posted upside down, I don't know why and can't seem to change it. None of these blocks would be acceptable for an exchange block, I agree.

Last edited by imsewnso; 11-29-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Speaking for myself only - I think that people who like machine embroidery or using an embroidery machine to quilt should do it and enjoy it. People who like appliqué should do it and enjoy it. And paper piecing and die cutters. You get the idea. It looks like some of the comments are trying to convince others to like what they like. We don't have to. You have to. Something for everyone and just check the swap requirements.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I knew what you meant, and I too learned a few things from the discussion.

I think you've got your answer. You're definitely not alone in thinking that machine embroidery, although popular, is not embraced by everyone. I hasten to add I've seen it used with restraint and it can look really nice, but usually says "I spent six thousand dollars for this machine, so I'm going to use it" - often with "cute" or "adorable" results. I happen to dislike anything cute/adorable (even for babies), words on quilts (except for a discreet date and signature for posterity), buildings, tea/flower pots, animals, etc. but don't begrudge others who do their enjoyment of this stuff. BUT, if you ask me I'm not going to lie.
I learned a lot from this discussion too.