Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do color catchers work? Yes! >

Do color catchers work? Yes!

Do color catchers work? Yes!

Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 AM

Which brand did you use and where do you find them,i have been having a difficult time finding them lately.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Which brand did you use and where do you find them,i have been having a difficult time finding them lately.
The box is red & it says SHOUT.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 PM

I was a member of the American Sewing Guild and one of my friends owned a fabric shop. She taught us how to use a box of baking soda to remove colors that bleed. Put the garment into the washing machine with a small box of baking soda. Let it agitate for a minute or so to dissolve the baking soda. Let it sit over night and then run it through the regular cycle the next day. Your item will look like new.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:25 PM

As I understand it, the dyes which are used now are no longer organic dyes; thus the tendency to bleed and run onto other fabrics which might be contained in the same item, whether a quilt or clothing, or whatever. I had some red that was a real bleeder. I used vinegar (2 gallons total) salt, epsom salts, etc. Nothing worked! I purchased a product online made by Rit Dye. It's called Rit Laundry Treatment, Dye Fixative, and it works. I also subscribe to using Color Catchers, even if the dye has been pre-set. It's just common sense. I have no ownership interest or financial interest in Rit Dye. It's just a product I've used quite successfully. I do pre-wash fabrics, because if a fabric is going to bleed, it's not going to be in my quilt! LOL!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 06-16-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Have used these and swear by the results in regular laundry. Have never tried to repair fabric that "bled" I have a panel that I made and it got wet in a basement flood mess. will try this.