Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame? >

Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame?

Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Default Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame?

I am possibly purchasing a Grace frame to use with my Juki 98 machine. After going to a demonstration of the new Dream Machine that is used with a Brother machine today, I came home and looked up a Grace frame, which is what the one was today, I believe... I looked online and found a much better price for a frame and can use it with a machine I already have. The sale price at the shop today of $5,000 was still way out of my reach...this was for the Brother machine and their new smaller frame. For around $600 I can get a frame to use with a machine I already have. But, I am unsure if I will need a stitch regulator. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

You can FMQ on a frame without a stitch regulator. Angela Waters did it for many years! I'm not that good, but I found it to be a lot of fun. My recommendation, though, is to do a ***lot*** more online research before making a decision.

Domestic machines such as your Juki have only 9" of space under the arm (harp area). The takeup bar on a frame "takes up" a portion of that space. As you roll your quilt, you have less and less maneuverable area under the arm such that, with a twin size quilt, you can easily end up with just 2" of space to FMQ towards the end. This drastically limits the kind of FMQ patterns you can do.

A Voyager 17 with Hinterberg frame (my setup) can typically be found used (they are not made anymore) for less than $3,000 (sometimes $2,000) with or without stitch regulator. This is a genuine midarm (the 17" under the arm of the machine) which allows you a lot more flexibility and variety in what you can do.

Investing $600 in a frame can be fine as long as you understand the limitations of using a domestic machine on it. Most people who enjoy frame quilting outgrow the 9" space very quickly and want to move up in size. The $600 frame that works with your domestic machine will probably not work with a midarm machine as you need a larger carriage. Also, Grace does not have the best reputation for midarm and longarm machines; they tend to be a bit on the weak side. It is hard to sell a used domestic machine frame, so you may not get much of your money back if you decide you want to upgrade.

It takes some research to figure out what both fits your budget and your needs. A good place to do that kind of research is on the homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com . That particular group has many members, and their setups range from the one you are describing all the way up into professional setups. Might help you make an informed decision.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree with prism. You may want to start searching your local Craigs List and may be able to pick up a frame for your machine for much less. This way you can decide if you really like frame quilting. You can often find used midarm setups for a reasonable price too.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 AM

I stitch on a frame without a stitch regular just fine. Though my machine has an 11" throat.

My frame cost £800 and I sew with Janome horizon 8200. Very affordable set up!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:26 PM

I only hasve 9 inches on my Janome 1600p , but I don't have to kill my back sandwiching a quilt anymore. I have a Grace frame too.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Mike's Girl, which Grace frame do you have? Is it wooden or a metal frame? I am looking at a SR2 which is wooden.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM

I have a Grace frame that I'm willing to sell, since we're downsizing. It's wooden & can expand up to a king size. I'd have to look up the number.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 PM

I don't have a stitch regulator and do just fine.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:15 PM

I also have the Voyager 17 with a stitch regulator, but rarely use it except for ruler work. I think if you're planning on doing a lot of ruler work it's worth the investment. If you plan on primarily doing FMQ or pantos, you really don't need it.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the info. And checking back at the pictures of this frame, it is NOT wooden.