Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame? >

Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame?

Do I need a Stitch Regulator to FMQ on a frame?

Old 09-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

My first long arm came with a stitch regulator which I never turned on for the first 5 years I had the machine- did well without it. I kind of thought of it like ( cruise control) in a car- you should know how to drive, be skilled before using it. ( and, when I first bought the machine & took the owner classes I tried out the regulator -- didn't like it, it sort of drove me crazy- so after class I just didn't use it)
my new upgraded machine I do use it often- but I've had 12+ years of practice - it is nice now.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:30 AM

There is definitely a learning curve to quilt on a frame so the stitch regulator helps. It is one less thing to worry about. However, it is not necessary. With practice you will be able to achieve fairly consistent stitches without one.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 AM

Don't consider buying a stitch regulator to add to your domestic sewing machine and a frame unless you know for sure that the stitch regulator and the sewing machine are compatible. I made that mistake. Basically, just set your sewing machine to a constant speed, so then you only have to concentrate on how fast your hands are moving the machine. You can practice with a pen and paper, doodling, to get the knack of moving your hand at the same speed.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:11 PM

I have been quilting on a Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter on an Inspira Frame. It does not have a stitch regulator. But then again, I only do meanders. Over the many quilts I have done, I have gotten better. Get a rhythm, keep it steady and don't speed up around the curves.