Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Supreme Slider? >

Do I need a Supreme Slider?

Do I need a Supreme Slider?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 PM
mac

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I use stiff window plastic, taped to the machine platform, so that the quilt slides off at a slant toward the table, and put a shelf paper "cuff" around the fingers of each hand. I find that easier than pulling the machingers off and on to reposition. It's the flexible stuff that looks like little beads with holes between. Both ideas came from this board.

When I first got the Juki, I didn't sink it into the table because of the bobbin position, so it was very hard to move the quilt, even with the excellent (and smooth enough, so I thought) extended platform. I called the store, researched online, and tried everything I could think of. Finally, in despair, I appealed to the board, and several really experienced quilters reached out to help. I will always be grateful.

hugs,
Charlotte
I didn't understand what you meant by "put a shelf paper "cuff" around the fingers of each hand". Can you explain more? Thank you.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Hi, Mac -

I cut a rectangle of shelf liner and slide it over four fingers (as a group), with the safety pin on top of my hand. My thumbs are free. To reposition the quilt, I just flip them off. They are very grippy, and it's easy to adjust the size. I'm going to try to attach a picture.

hugs,
Charlotte

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553579[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1736.jpg  
Old 07-08-2016, 12:35 PM

Sorry about the mammoth picture. I don't know the trick for making it smaller.

Charlotte
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM

I would be lost without mine Innov8R. I should mention I think it's important that you use carpenter's tape, or something to tape the four corners down. Ask me how I know after it folded over and I sewed right thought it. I ended up having to buy another Slider.

Last edited by Roberta; 07-08-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Need to add more information
Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM
mac

Thanks, Charlotte.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Great idea. I'll try it, as my hands always get sweaty in the gloves.

It is amazing what those shelf liners can be used for. I put one under my sewing pedal so it doesn't slip around.
My friend puts one under her sewing machine when she sews at a class, so that it doesn't vibrate and slip around.
Another friend, uses a small strip to put under her large ruler when she it rotary cutting so that the ruler won't slip around.
mac
Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
I am learning FMQ and I spend a lot of time reading and trying to learn more. I have seen several mentions of the Supreme Slider, and at first I thought it was for machines that do not have the feed dog down feature. I have retractable feed dogs on all my machines, so I didn't think I needed a slider. Tell me if I am missing something.

I've been wondering the same thing since I'm also trying to learn FMQ. But I've bought the spray instead, to see if it works....though I admit I haven't used it because I've been busy with my star quilt project. If it makes the surface of my machine slick enough I won't buy the slider. But if you do, and love it, will you report back, please? I'd like the experience of a another FMQ rookie!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:56 PM

I'm cheap.

I just Armor Alled my work surface.

So far, so good.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:53 AM

I am not a fan of them. I personally don't think a person needs one. I had one and found I wasted my money on it.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Calran View Post
I have supreme slider which makes it easier to move quit around ,however I have found that a teflon oven liner is so much larger and works much better. Bought mine at Walmart for just under 9 dollars.
I've been wanting to get a new one (I sewed through mine a couple of times, now I use a little tape along 2 edges so I don't have to keep checking that it is where it should be). But my Walmart does not seem to carry it any longer. I think I paid around $5 or $6 for mine several years ago.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:49 PM

FMQ is so much easier for me with the Queen size Supreme Slider. I have my machine in a SewEZ table as well. I just set the Supreme Slider on top and use Machingers. If I forget to put it on (which happens more often then you would think) I fight with the quilt and I cannot figure out why I am having to do so much work to make the quilt move. Then I realize that I have failed to use my Supreme Slider. Sure, you don't need it, but it makes life easier.