Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Supreme Slider? >

Do I need a Supreme Slider?

Do I need a Supreme Slider?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 AM

Default Do I need a Supreme Slider?

I am learning FMQ and I spend a lot of time reading and trying to learn more. I have seen several mentions of the Supreme Slider, and at first I thought it was for machines that do not have the feed dog down feature. I have retractable feed dogs on all my machines, so I didn't think I needed a slider. Tell me if I am missing something.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 AM

The slider makes the surface slicker and makes the sandwich easier to move so it has nothing to do with your feed dogs as it covers them. I can attest that these devices make a huge difference. I have a sew slip II which is slightly larger than the queen slider and I used it all the time until I got my true glide overlay when I got my stitch regulator so I use that now. I also use machingers gloves and that also makes a huge difference
Old 07-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

The slider is very slippery. It makes the quilt move without friction and less stress on your hands. It has nothing to do with feed dogs.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 AM

I have tried a Supreme Slider on a friend's machine. It does help heavy quilts move easily. I didn't purchase one, I found that my table supports the quilt enough. As long as your machine is dropped and there is enough table for the rest of the quilt, I don't think it's necessary.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 PM

I loved mine...until it slipped without me knowing and got quilted to my quilt. I didn't bother getting a new one. I have been doing fine without it.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM

I use the slider for all of my FMQ. Makes for smoother quilting for circles, spirals, etc. My machine is recessed in the table and has support for back and sides. I also use the Machingers gloves and much prefer them to the other types I tried. I will take all the help I can get And as others have said, nothing to do with feed dogs. It has an opening in it that fits around the area under your needle.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:42 PM

The Sewezi table is so smooth that I never noticed I hadn't used the slider.

All I have to do is remember to remove the tape residue from machine and table.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:06 PM

I have done large quilts with and without the slider. It is a big help to have it. It makes the area where you are actively quilting and moving the quilt much slicker and the quilt moves a lot more easily. Some folks who have their machines dropped into tables use a silicone spray for sewing which they apply to their machine beds and tables. I have tried this and it works pretty well, but it has to be reapplied frequently (at least for my machines/tables) and I worry about overspray getting into the oiling holes on my PQ1500s and VX560 which are the two I use for most of my fmq, so I prefer to use the slider.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 PM

You definitely don't need it. I would for sure buy Machinger's (or something similar) before spending money on a Supreme Slider, and there are alternatives like Teflon baking sheets with a hole cut in the middle or sprays, but I personally really love quilting with mine.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

I have never needed one either but you might consider the less expensive alternatives.