Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do t-shirt quilts need a stabilier?

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ

Do t-shirt quilts need a stabilier?

When making a t-shirt quilt do you use a stabilizer behind the t-shirts and if you do what do you recommend?

You absolutely do have to stabilize the T-shirts. They are cotton knit, not a weave, and anything knit is very fluid. I know there is a stabilizer which is often recommended and which several members of my quilting group say is really hard to work with, and I forget what it is called (Is is "woven"? and you are supposed to place the weave cross ways to the way the knit stretches the most? That's what I think I remember, lol). But I do remember that what they prefer to use is the thinnest one JoAnn's has---It's only about 99 cents a yard and doesn't stretch. Fuse to the backside of the T-shirts before cutting out the squares.

Blog Entries
    Here's a Missouri Star Quilting Company video on making a t-shirt quilt that may help.

Found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3jqR2N4KA

Yes absolutely!
    clsurz

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    Thank you so much for the link. Never thought to look on YouTube. Just viewed the tute & I'm on my way to purchase the stabilizer.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    Here's a Missouri Star Quilting Company video on making a t-shirt quilt that may help.

Found this on youtube.

Blog Entries
    I did one using the tricot stabilizer...it came out very soft and I would definitely use that again. You iron it on with the stretch going the opposite way of the stretch in the tee shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post

Found this on youtube.

Thanks for sharing this link, I try this link and also I make some b est video for t-shirts. When I open this link that time its not working properly so can you tell me what should I have to do? If you have any another link than please share with me.