Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first? >

Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first?

Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:05 PM

I will buy a fat qtr collection because I love it. Then will make some scrappy quilt out of it. I always add other fabrics to stretch it from my fat qtr stash and/or colored solids. There is always some neutral muslin added in there some where too. I find if I make a quilt out of just the collection, it is too much "the same". Bonnie Hunter use to go with random scraps divided into lights and darks....but lately (like in her recent mystery quilt), she is making her own "collections" out of color palettes specified by paint chips. So, scrappy is getting more "structured" in the quilt world.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I tend to keep my collections together. However, lately I'm trying to break them up for scrappy quilts.
QUOTE=Tartan- I do keep my collections together in my stash but if I am hot into a quilt and I find the perfect piece in a collection, it's toast! QUOTE

I just started doing some of that and I think it is what is prompting my original question.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:01 PM

I bought a lot of fat quarter bundles when I first started quilting. Even though I don't enjoy making quilts with fat quarter bundles as much as I like choosing my own fabrics, I still can't resist buying the occasional one. They're just so beautiful! It usually doesn't take me too long to find a pattern for them. I always add some fabrics to the bundle to add some life to the quilt, because it seems overly coordinated and a little flat if I don't. I am hoping I can resist buying any more!! One thing I do when I begin looking for a pattern for a bundle is google 'quilts made with (such and such fabric line)', to see what others have done with it and what sort of setting complements the fabrics the most.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 AM

I tend to hold onto my packs until inspiration strikes, then I cut up what's left for the scrap bags. Recently I decided to use a jelly row from ten years ago, when they first started coming out. I wanted fabric from the line and had to search on etsy and eBay to find it. Sometimes it's really difficult to find even a solid to go with the fabrics. I think I will get the color cards for Kona cottons to help me out. If I just buy one or two fat quarters then they go on the shelf ready for anything, but I cherish my big stacks of FQs from a specific fabric line.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:16 AM

I buy fat quarters all the time....just not in packs as I find them to expensive. On quilt shops bus trips I pick up about 10 or 12 fat quarters each time. Guess I like a coordinated scrappy look. The fabric has to speak to me, before I'll buy it.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do keep my collections together in my stash but if I am hot into a quilt and I find the perfect piece in a collection, it's toast!
This just recently happened to me...I don't buy a lot of FQ bundles but I picked one up to use in a baby chevron quilt, however, there was a particular fabric screaming to get out for another project. LOL
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 AM

I started quilting with scraps, so I use whatever fat quarter works at the time. I tend to buy more yardage these days, but I will always love my fat quarters to give my quilts that extra pop! Mix & Match can be fun!!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:37 AM

I use to hang on to them in a pack. However now that I am older and wiser I break them up as necessary. If they have a color or pattern that I want, I use it.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41 AM

I don't buy large f-q bundles. If I do, it is usually less than 6 pieces. I have an old pattern cabinet that is just perfect for all of my f-q's. So I just go f-q/stash shopping from my stash. I'm going to do the Bonnie Hunter mystery this year and so far all of the fabric is from my f-q stash. I did not make a dent in my f-q's. Some of my selected f-quarters were taken from the small bundles. After I use some of the fabric, it goes to my small pies stash. Less than f-8th. Eventually I plan to make my own squares and strip packets.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 AM

I love these bundles! I have been given a few for charity quilts from people overwhelmed with their stash. I keep them together as long as possible. When they are down to less than what I could use for a quilt-----I break them up. I can often get 3 tops out of one. I often add some fabric of my own.