Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-break-up-fat-quarter-packs-make-one-main-quilt-first-t283455.html)

Annaquilts 11-01-2016 10:43 AM

Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first?

I realized I tend to hold onto Fat quarter packs to make one main quilt before I will break it up.

Even then I will try and hold them together with like fabrics of the same designer, batiks, modern, brand or time era like 1930 or Civil War.

Overall this works but I also find it contributes to over buying and or holding onto fabrics for that perfect quilt.

What do you tend to do? Break it up and add a little of the new fabric to freshen up older fabrics or like me tend to hold onto the whole Fat Quarter pack till you made a quilt out of it. Are those nice coordinated Fat quarter packs standing in your closet waiting for that quilt that doesn't seem to happen?

toverly 11-01-2016 10:48 AM

I tend to pick up printed collections when a FQ pack calls my name. If I pick it up three times, it's mine. Then I purchase a back fabric out of the collection (which is usually there somewhere). I make throw size quilt out of it. After that, if I'm sick of the patterns, it's the free table but if I like the patterns still, it's in a giant zip lock for placemats or something small. I almost always add a neutral solid to the line so there is plenty of "stretch room".

popover 11-01-2016 11:07 AM

I never buy less than 2 yards of any fabric, and only when I have a plan for it.

Annaquilts 11-01-2016 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7690264)
I tend to pick up printed collections when a FQ pack calls my name. If I pick it up three times, it's mine. Then I purchase a back fabric out of the collection (which is usually there somewhere). I make throw size quilt out of it. After that, if I'm sick of the patterns, it's the free table but if I like the patterns still, it's in a giant zip lock for placemats or something small. I almost always add a neutral solid to the line so there is plenty of "stretch room".

Oooh I like the idea of buying a neutral solid and stretch room. It is also a good idea to buy backing. I tend to scramble for backing, borders, sashing, binding etc. It Takes me so long to get to using the Fat quarters that by that time it might be hard to find anything from that line especially yardage. Thanks for the ideas.

Doggramma 11-01-2016 12:04 PM

I tend to make something first out of the pack. Then the remains go into my stash by color, or types like you mention.

Melanie Rudy 11-01-2016 12:47 PM

I break it all up and use whatever I want in my free-spirit kind of way ;)

Annaquilts 11-01-2016 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy (Post 7690326)
I break it all up and use whatever I want in my free-spirit kind of way ;)

Great! I guess you are a scrappy kind of girl. Overall I am too but when it comes to these Fat quarter towers I have been holding back.

Annaquilts 11-01-2016 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by popover (Post 7690271)
I never buy less than 2 yards of any fabric, and only when I have a plan for it.

Got it. Not a Fat quarter kind of person.

Tartan 11-01-2016 05:22 PM

I do keep my collections together in my stash but if I am hot into a quilt and I find the perfect piece in a collection, it's toast!

quiltsRfun 11-01-2016 05:38 PM

I tend to keep my collections together. However, lately I'm trying to break them up for scrappy quilts.