Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you break up Fat Quarter packs or make one main quilt from it first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-break-up-fat-quarter-packs-make-one-main-quilt-first-t283455.html)

BettyGee 11-02-2016 07:14 AM

I break them down now. Used to keep them until I found the perfect project and that method just meant the fabric sat unused. With colors and themes together I'm more likely to use them. FQ bundles are one of my favorites as I get to see and use all of the different ones in a collection. When I kept them in the bundle I found that by the time I found the "perfect" project and wanted more of one pattern it was too late.

carolynjo 11-02-2016 07:48 AM

Do what you feel good about. There are no rules about keeping the collections intact.

Tudey 11-02-2016 08:27 AM

I love fat quarters. I belong to Annie's Quilting Club, so i get a set of 6 new FQ's every month, along with a pattern for them, which I sometimes actually make. Sometimes I split the sets up for other projects. I let the fabrics tell me where they want to be used!

Annaquilts 11-02-2016 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee (Post 7690841)
I break them down now. Used to keep them until I found the perfect project and that method just meant the fabric sat unused. With colors and themes together I'm more likely to use them. FQ bundles are one of my favorites as I get to see and use all of the different ones in a collection. When I kept them in the bundle I found that by the time I found the "perfect" project and wanted more of one pattern it was too late.

Hmmmm..yes that is what is/was happening here. I just started taking some FQs out of bundles. Feeling some what guilty about it. LOL

Annaquilts 11-02-2016 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tudey (Post 7690938)
I love fat quarters. I belong to Annie's Quilting Club, so i get a set of 6 new FQ's every month, along with a pattern for them, which I sometimes actually make. Sometimes I split the sets up for other projects. I let the fabrics tell me where they want to be used!

Now that sounds like fun. I will have to look up what program that is.

letawellman 11-02-2016 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee (Post 7690841)

This was me too.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been on an "organizing" spree.

O.M.G.

The FQ's and jelly-rolls that I'm finding are just unreal. As well as "kits", that were either packaged by a company, or by the LQS or by me, I realize now that I'm just covered in fabric.
I unearthed a couple of UFO's that will probably be relatively easy to finish, and boxed up into plastic shoe-boxes several other UFO's or small kits. After reminding myself of all the fabric that I have, I had promised myself "no more fabric until some of this is gone".
Well, I'm at a lull right now at work, and found myself browsing online fabric stores... so I told myself, "QUIT THAT!! And go over to the Quilting Board instead!!"

Whew!! That was a close call, because I was really drolling over those 2.5 yards of paisley ($3.99/yd) on sale at "5BucksAYard.com" .
Please, someone, PLEASE go buy those so I don't cave in to temptation!! :D

Hopefully, the organizing spree will get me USING all those FQ bundles and jelly rolls and kits.

ccthomas 11-02-2016 05:42 PM

I keep collections together for the main project.

crafty pat 11-03-2016 09:46 AM

I do both sometimes I keep them all together for a project but most times I break them up and use some I like better with other projects. Some I like to cut into strips after using the ones I like best in other projects. I use those for scrappy quilts or bags.

Annaquilts 11-03-2016 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 7691825)
I do both sometimes I keep them all together for a project but most times I break them up and use some I like better with other projects. Some I like to cut into strips after using the ones I like best in other projects. I use those for scrappy quilts or bags.

Do you have any pictures of the projects you make with the strips? Sounds like a great idea.

cashs_mom 11-03-2016 04:42 PM

I have been known to rob fabric collections for other projects.