Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you buy quilt kits??

I have bought kits before and found that there is always enough fabric with some left over. I too have a little confidence problem when picking lots of colors. So in that respect, kits can be great. I am not imagative enough to change a pattern so a kit works for me sometimes. Some though are just too expensive to buy as lump sum.

Chris
    What I make with my hands, I give of my heart.

I do not have a great deal of time to spend looking for fabric, so as a new quilter, I have bought several quilt kits. I get the ones with fabrics I just cannot resist. So far, I have been very pleased with each quilt I have made from a kit. To me, the time saved is worth the additional expense. As I become a more experienced quilter, I probably won't rely on kits as much.

I do not .. for alot of reasons... its limiting... size color , pattern etc... and it takes some of the fun of picking the pattern finding the right fabrics. Plus I don't want a quilt that there may be 100's of others just like it.

generally if i buy a kit i wind up changing most or all of the fabrics to ones i like better- i only buy a kit if that is the only way to get a pattern i absolutely have to have- or maybe i want the fabrics in the kit for something else & don't care about the pattern- and it is the least expensive way for me to get the fabrics- or they are discontinued & it's the only way to get them...
    so, i do on rare occassions pick up a kit---but i don't think i have actually ever put one together as it is planned to be used. except i have done a few block of the months & saturday samplers over the years. to me unless its just a great sale kits seem to be a very huge waste of $$.
    more often than not i don't follow commercial patterns
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    i do both, i have done the thimbleberries.............i love them.
    Squirrelly Shirley

I do both, and then some. I have bought kits if the fabric and design call to me. Sometimes I use what is in my stash and make my own kit. We travel quite a bit and I have a machine in my motorhome. I like to cut out tha sew wile on the road, and then spend the winter finishing up.

I do about 50/50. Sometimes the kit is just so beautiful with so many fabrics that it is a no brainer. I got one in CA and have never ever seen the fabrics out here in Indiana.

If the price is right, a kit can be a great buy. I have gotten some great deals at garage sales or on Ebay and enjoyed making the top. I have no problem inserting a different fabric if one is short or even changing it a lot, if I want so I dont worry about the kit being perfect ( if the price is right).

I like a lot of fabrics in a quilt and it is hard to get a lot of variety all at once in a quilt store becaue I dont have the time to stand around while quarter yards are cut of a lot of fabrics.

I've never bought a kit, although occasionally I've been tempted.

I've bought three kits.

One was a locally put together kit from Mamaw's Thimble in Knoxville, TN with fabric I fell in love with as soon as I saw it. Don't have to worry about anyone on this island making the same quilt.

The other two are Christmas wallhangings with lots of applique. I bought those at the AQS Show in Knoxville, TN, a couple of years ago.

Haven't gotten around to making any of them.

Yet!

If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I have only bought 2 kits and they were identical kits. They were from Robert Kaufman and they were The Grinch fabrics. Yep, I made 2 identical quilts; probably 100's of other people have the same identical quilt. That's okay because I didn't keep either one of them. They were gifts for 2 different people. I too love to pick my own fabrics for a pattern. I don't want a quilt that looks just like someone else's for myself!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast