Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you buy quilt kits??

I haver bought new kits one time. I had to have the fabrics in it. The kits consisted of 8 FQ.I buy used kits if they are nice quality like Moda and have fabrics from a certain line like a jelly roll and extra yardage.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    One of my first quilts was a kit...a Stonehenge wall quilt using their fabrics. I was looking for earth tones with texture and their fabrics just fit the bill, and I loved the pattern. There was plenty of fabric (for what I call the "oops factor"), and had some scraps left over that I used in another project. I think it's just a matter of liking the fabric in a kit well enough...if they are the colors/prints you had in mind in the first place, then there's nothing wrong with purchasing a kit. The majority of the time I choose the fabric myself, though.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    Did when I started. Found it a great way to learn. I may buy patterns now, but not kits. Welcome!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

If I see something that I absolutely love I'll buy a kit if available. Sometimes I'll buy them on sale if I love the fabric at that value and might use it for something else. It is sometimes hard for me to decide when I see an attractive quilt if it's the pattern I'm drawn to or the fabrics or both. Usually it's the fabrics!

I've never bought a kit- they seem so expensive to me and I'm so new to quilting that I'm afraid I won't cut it right and end up with too little fabric to finish the project. I like to pick my own colors and fabrics. But I have to admit that I've gotten some ideas for future projects by looking at the pictures on kits
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

I have purchased 2 kits over the years, but I found that I didn't enjoy the process as much. I'm still attracted to them now then because there are some really nice ones out there, but they are not for me.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

i have been tempted, but often the kits i like the most are quilts i simply don't have the skill to make (yet.)

aileen

Blog Entries
    I've only purchased one kit, but it went to my sister for a gift. I had forgotten about it when one day a package came in the mail (in time for my birthday) and it was the finished quilt from the kit I had bought her. I still have it on my bed and snuggle under it every night.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

I have bought a couple of kits and have enjoyed making. The kits were color combo's that I would of never put together. Kits do have an advatage... but then again everything thing I make I tweak to make it my own...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

Blog Entries
    I have never bought a kit, as I like picking my own fabrics and cutting etc. I do, however, love looking at them, and get great ideas from them.

I have bought kits. Sometimes I want what I make to look like the sample.

I have bought 4 kits, one was a wall hanging of a pictorial scene and there was no way I could get all the fabrics for the same price as they were only little bits for most of them. The others I liked the pattern and the kit was on sale for a ridiculous price. Mostly I pick from my stash.

piney

I have bought kits several times. I have been lucky so far, no shortage on fabric, and great directions.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Being a fairly new quilter, I have purchased a FQ bundle and 2 jelly rolls to fit specific patterns but after I have made the quilt once, I then choose my own fabric the next time around. I think half the fun is using your own "eye" to create the color scheme, especially when the quilt is being made with a specific person in mind. But that's not to say I wouldn't buy another fabric kit... some of them are just so fun!

I like kits because I can see the finished quilt with no surprises. I'm new to quilting (about 2 yrs) and I'm still in the match-matchy from making my own clothes. I've also made a quilt or two when I had to choose the fabric myself. I like going whichever way suits me at the time!

I buy kits and BOM kits. I like them. It's the same with pre-cut bundles and fabric lines. I don't do as we'll with a "stash." That concept alludes me. I need a picture, either in my hand or in my head. It's usually inspired by a pattern, fabric, or something I've seen. Then I proceed.

No kits for me. I have enough stash that can make my own "kits" most of the time. Besides, the creation, search for just the right fabric and calculating how much is part of what I enjoy about quilting projects.

I usually buy patterns, then find fabric. However, I recently purchased a bunch of kits (9) at a garage sale for a fraction of what they cost in at LQS. They were colors and styles that really aren't my thing, but I knew that my mom and MIL would love them. Included in the mix were 2 that are perfect for the 2 nephews I have graduating next spring. My cost on the kits ranged from $7 -$25 and the average for the kits I purchased was $12. I'm alway looking for a great deal on LQS fabrics. This time I hit the jackpot, and spent $115 all in one spot. I would have spent more, but that was all the cash I had on me, and had left my checkbook at home. (Good thing, too or I could have done a lot more shopping!)

I have bought several kits from Connecting Threads. I only buy clearance kits (I'm cheap) some I will make as is and some were for my stash. I can't always find a whole collection in the store so instead of running all over searching it makes it easier and cheaper (gas) for me. I am thinking about trying kits from other stores, just haven't yet.

I purchased a couple of kits, one for book covers and one for a walker bag. Wasn't wild about the fabrics and one pattern was a pain, so I don't buy them any more. I have plenty of fabric that I need to use up anyway.

I love kits. First, I have to love it. Second, I have never been shorted on fabric. I am working on a quilt now that is from John Flynn that is a kit. I sometimes change colors in a quilt kit; however, I have a quilt shop that will help me with making my own kit from a pattern, or a picture that I have. And a lot of kits are already cut... something I have come to hate.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    I don't buy kits, because I always prewash the fabrics. I don't take chances with fabrics, for the most part they don't shrink or fade, but it only takes one naughty piece to ruin months of work.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Haven't bought a kit yet. Like others, I'm always thinking I'll be short fabric if I make a mistake... then where would that leave me? Plus, half the fun is picking the fabric!

I do not buy kits, I prefer to choose my own fabrics, and maybe change the pattern a little to make it my own.
    Choosing your own fabric gives you freedom to make your 'own' quilt. Kits restrict your freedom, and your quilt will be like hundreds of others.

I do not buy quilt kits based on a bad experience.I signed up to do the block of the month at my LQS and some of the pieces that they had cut were too small for me to do the assigned quilt block piece. I went to the LQS and they told me that it must be my fault. Needless to say I have not bought another quilt kit.
    Carmen E.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast