Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut your stash?? >

Do you cut your stash??

Do you cut your stash??

Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 AM

I have 3 (!) LARGE plastic drawers full to the brim with stash material (I've been collecting for a while...LOL) and would like to cut down (so to speak) on the "volume" that's in these drawers. It's in no particular order right now and it's driving me crazy. I'd like to organize it and cut it into pieces so I can see what I actually have that's usable...know what I mean? So, my question is...as you're accumulating scraps do you cut them in "pieces" as you get them so they're already for you to use in a scrappy quilt or something else? What size do you cut your pieces (as a general rule) or do you just cut them according to the scrap size and work with them from there?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly but I hope you can give me some information that you ladies use to keep your scraps under control.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 AM

what I do when having scraps, if they are irregular shaped, with tails that are not useable, I try to even out the piece of scrap, to make it more rectanglular, or square.. even if its not cut into inch sized pieces, those long tails that trail off to who knows where, drive me nuts.. once I do even them all up, I do put them into the bin or box that holds scraps of squares, or rectangles, so I know how much I have for either shape..I'm working on going thru my strippy bin at the moment, doing a Fun with Bricks quilt pattern which is all scraps of fabric, plus a 4 patch using a cream color, and two other scrap squares per block. I posted a photo of it last night on the board, too.. its been fun, but learning it takes more scraps than I thought I had cut!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM

I would find a few scrap patterns that you like.
then I would start cutting your scraps to make these quilts
I love scrappy log cabins so I cut alot of 2" strips- I have a large laudry basket full- ready for my next quilt
I also do several other scrap patterns that I keep a cheat sheet Ex: 2" squares 2x4" rectangles
this will cut down on your stash-that you don't even know what you have-
and you will have a quilt ready to sew!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks Karen and Michelle...
Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Are you talking about yardage?

Or small pieces? leftovers from other projects?

I like to leave my yardage uncut until I have a purpose for a particular piece.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Bonnie hunter at Quiltville.com has a wonder system for arranging scraps. I personally never cut a fabric until I'm ready to use it.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 AM

I leave them as big as possible - some of the angled scraps end up as appliqued leaves and such. Paper piecing makes use of odd shapes as well. Cutting them into squares or strips limits the things they can be used for. If I want to do a scrappy project which only uses squares, I can cut them then.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

I would never cut yardage or FQ's until ready to use. However, scraps are another story. I have a whole list of sizes I cut: 2", 5" & 6" squares, 2 x 6 for rail fence, tumblers, pyramids, 3.5 x 6.5 for flying geese, pieces for 6" bowties and for 4" bowties, pieces for a small flower block, etc. etc. Basically, for any scrap quilt or scrappy border I'll ever want to make. Each group is in it's own drawer of one of those (OK 2 of those) plastic storage units. I'll tell you, it's very handy.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 AM

I never cut fabric until I'm ready to use it. I also save nearly every scrap that is leftover. I don't trim these very often, you never know when that 'tail' might just hold the right amt of length that is needed for another strip! I know storing scraps can be a pain, but as was mentioned earlier, there are great storage ideas out there.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM

I don't cut my scraps into any sizes. I just leave them however they are. I never know when I'll need dragonfly wings or a dozen leaves or some other applique shape. I also use my scraps for small wall hangings that use both applique and piecing. I have no idea what I'll need six months from now and if it's all cut into specific sizes I may not be able to get that 3 inch strip from the perfect fabric if I've already cut it into 2.5 inch strips.

That's what suits me. You do what suits you.