Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ♥♥ Do you hide fabrics and Quilting Supplies from your spouse? Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics! ♥♥

Blog Entries
    Do you hide fabrics from your spouse? Come on confess and tell us where you stash your fabrics!

Hubby never goes into my rooms, so he has no idea what I have! :) :) :)

I have some 2 drawer file cabinets and have them under a table (out of site) and that is where I file some of my quilting books, magazines, etc. nice and organized that way.

At first yes. When he sees them, I just say, I bought them at a garage sale.

Blog Entries
    No I never hide anything that I brought from my husband I worked everyday just like him and a lot of days right beside him money was mine as much as his

I do hide purchases at times.

I have a RAV4 and in the back there is a hidden trunk cubby. You have to lift up the cargo mat to get to it. It houses fabric and notions, as well as bargains I get for Christmas gifts etc. It is currently empty...but my LQS is having a Buy 8 get 4 free sale, so I see some fabric in there this week. :)

i never do either.

our relationship is built on trust and i don't see any point in being dishonest even when its something as meaningless as fabric.

Blog Entries
    No spouse here, no worries.

klc
    No, My husband is an enabler. He even pulls out the JoAnn coupons for me.

I don't think it ever dawns on him that I am always shopping to support my habit.

The only time he might mention it is when a new book or magazine comes in the mail. That's only because he always gets the mail. :)

i dont' hide what i buy either, i just stumble over his fishing stuff, and squeeze whatever i got into the sewing room.

Blog Entries
    Spouse? What is that? no need to hide my stash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    i dont' hide what i buy either, i just stumble over his fishing stuff, and squeeze whatever i got into the sewing room.
    Same here but my DH buys power tools and photo equipment. He never complains about all the fabric I buy.

yep

No. He does not care how much I have. If I did try to hide it that would upset him. I always tell him what I spend and he does the same with me. It has worked well foe 53 soon to be 54 years.

I couldn't hide them if I tried...I buy mostly on-line and he gets the mail...lol...I don't smoke and only rarely have a glass of wine...I figure this is my only vice(he may think it's a vice, not I)...so if he ever did complain, I'd tell him how much a carton of cigarettes cost and/or some popular liquor...(smile) guess he'd be glad that quilting is my vice...lol...Naomi... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

My husband's head is------let's just say he can see his own tonsils!! LOL I stash all my purchases in my sewing room, and I just keep the door shut so he can't see the clutter and make comments about how bad it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i never do either.

our relationship is built on trust and i don't see any point in being dishonest even when its something as meaningless as fabric.
    I'm not necessarily being dishonest, we have separate accounts so all the money I spend is my own, and all of my bills get paid on time. But to someone who doesn't quilt, they are FLOORED by how much fabric and things are, and I think always thinking...you know what I could have purchased with that money...in the back of their mind.

He recently asked me to make a quilt for his grandmother, and he was lucky enough to get a quilt kit and backing that was 50% off. So when I said, for a queen size quilt the total would be $100 plus thread and batting, and he said...."Should we wait until there is a sale?" I chuckled, because to me, $100 for all the fabric for a queen size quilt is a STEAL!

So it's not so much that I don't have the money to spend and would be "in trouble". But I get tired of justifying WHY I would spend "x" amount of dollars on fabric....or twenty something dollars on a pair of scissors (this is with the 50% coupon from Joann's - I do try to be as frugal as possible)

:P

~Michael

Wasn't there already a thread about this?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog
    Wasn't there already a thread about this?
    yes

No, I don't need to hide anything from my husband. He knows I'm addict. I guess he's my enabler.

I just take my fabric purchases into my sewing room. My husband doesn't ever go in there. I'm not hiding anything...just not broadcasting my purchase. haha His motto for me is..."whatever makes you happy". I guess that's why we've been happily married for 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
    I just take my fabric purchases into my sewing room. My husband doesn't ever go in there. I'm not hiding anything...just not broadcasting my purchase. haha His motto for me is..."whatever makes you happy". I guess that's why we've been happily married for 35 years.
    I'm not hiding anything...just not broadcasting my purchase.....LOVE IT!

Blog Entries
    Well I don't hide anything because we have a joint account....and I guess I would put my DH in the enabler category...he doesn't say either way...But if there is something I really want..he always wants me to have it because he says I work to hard and do everything for everyone else..so I deserve it. He hates it when I deny myself something I want/need.

Does he realize how much quilting costs...NO. Does he really care....probably not.

But he also plays paintball.....football stuff for he and the boys...He and my boys do many activities together and they are not cheap...so I never say anything to him.

It's a win-win

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I do both. When I buy on sale I show him all of it. When I don't buy it on sale it just ends up in the house. He doesn't care that I quilt and buy things, but sometimes the eyebrows go up, so those "eyebrow raisers" go in my work bag and then into"inventory.

He would never actually get around to really having a fit since he has bought a 57 Chevy and a corvette and I could NEVER buy that much fabric in one setting :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Nope never, most of the time he is with me or knows I am going.

My DH knows how much I spend because we have joint checking, savings, everything. He doesn't mind at all. we have both worked hard for what we have and spending some of it is not a problem.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast